[GNSO-RPM-WG] Updated Proposed Process for TMCH Sunrise & Trademark Claims Sub Teams Including Submission of Additional Data

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Jan 29 23:45:53 UTC 2019

Dear RPM WG members,

The WG Co-Chairs have considered the requests concerning additional data
and the observation that additional specific information may assist the
WG’s efforts.  Note however that our agreed work process does not allow
for an extensive research exercise, and we believe we have already been
presented with the vast majority of such information and sources over
the past 2 years -- so this is something of a “last call” for data.
  (Nor do we have the staff resources to conduct such an exercise.)

In this light, WG members may suggest additional data to the Sunrise and
Claims Sub Teams that may either: (1) yield specific useful data we do
not currently have and/or or (2) assist Sunrise and/or Claims Sub Teams.
Examples of additional data:

  * articles about the registration of domains in Sunrise Periods (or
    attempts) that appear to have had an impact on contracted parties,
    registrants, or brand owners;
  * anecdotes or specific evidence from impacted parties; or
  * studies, reports, or articles discussing the harm of infringement
    including cybersquatting (including consumer harm).

To assist in this process and try to stay within our current timeline,
we have added some brief procedures in section 5 of the attached
document.  Note that this an updated version of the procedure document
previously provided by staff to the WG with the following changes:

  * Deleted 30 January full WG meeting (Subteams continue to meet);
  * Updated submission for individual proposals to start 30 January and
    end 20 February;
  * Incorporated process for submission of additional data and included
    submission dates in the timeline – to start *28 January and end 08
    February*;
  * Included discussion of additional data by the Sub Teams on 13
    February; and
  * Updated the ICANN64 Kobe meeting description to include full WG
    meetings and the option for Sub Team meetings.

As noted in the attached revised procedures, although additional data of
various kinds may be submitted, we are asking WG members to use the
designated Google Form (https://goo.gl/forms/84YtaNDH2Mx3SQVH3 [goo.gl]
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_forms_84YtaNDH2Mx3SQVH3&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=adDIs0WEx_lLwFfrsdovxTYY8GkRHo5ibc8SR3Npdh8&m=6A7Smp5z0-8prk-8F7FbKiBF7AksTQWRfRjGO_wBo4g&s=_fSNDFZ67pB16tCUDajZNqEH-vCK5oG4d5Q524YAviY&e=>)
to ensure that any additional data a member wishes to provide should:

  * highlight what specific information (i.e., new data or
    evidence-based conclusion) it is being cited for;
  * include a rationale for why and how that specific information is
    relevant and in respect of which particular question; and
  * suggest a solution and/or idea for how to address the topic.

If you have issue accessing the online form, please contact
ariel.liang at icann.org <mailto:ariel.liang at icann.org> to request
assistance. A .doc version of form will be provided upon request.

Upon the close of the submission window, Sub Teams will review any
additional data to determine whether it is useful in advancing the WG’s
efforts.

Brian Beckham, Phil Corwin, Kathy Kleiman, RPM PDP WG Co-Chairs