[GNSO-RPM-WG] Q#15 Transparency for the TMCH

Marie Pattullo marie.pattullo at aim.be
Sat Oct 12 18:05:10 UTC 2019

Thanks Greg. Very clear and fully agree.
Marie

Sent from my iPhone

On 12 Oct 2019, at 19:42, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com<mailto:gregshatanipc at gmail.com>> wrote:

Jason and all,

This "elaborate scenario" (filing "in “remote” jurisdictions with non-searchable DBs to gain a priority date") is not at all the rationale that was put forth by those in favor of a closed TMCH database.

I believe it's incorrect to say that this scenario was raised (in the chat, by John McElwaine, or otherwise) introduced this concept as part of an argument in favor of a closed TMCH database.

I am not even aware of the use of the strategy as described in its totality.  I think this may be an unfortunate misunderstanding or mis-recollection of the earlier discussions and the surrounding facts.

As I recall, the rationale is much more straightforward: A brand owner's choice of the subset of their trademarks to put in the TMCH is a confidential strategy. Giving third parties knowledge of this strategy allows these third parties to engage in activities that would harm TMCH registrants, which in turn would discourage use of the TMCH.  These activities include:  Targeting the brand owner's marks not in the TMCH for domain name registrations that can then be exploited in various ways; Developing a counter-strategy for TMCH registration (either by registering the same marks in the TMCH to enable contested Sunrises, or by registering the non-TMCH marks to gain advantage in Sunrise); Targeting the non-TMCH marks for counterfeiting, knock-offs, etc. (on the theory that the brand owner is less likely to put resources into policing and enforcing these less important marks), etc.

However, if I'm incorrect about any of this, I'm always happy to learn new facts.

I am aware that some applicants may choose to file in jurisdictions where registrations issue more quickly.  Even this limited scenario is not the practice of any brand owners I have represented or of which I'm specifically aware.  I can't speak to who or what type of applicant engages in even this limited practice.

I do recall that one or a few people or entities have used some aspects of this strategy or something similar to try to "game" Sunrise.  The specific concern about gaming the TMCH and Sunrise is one that I believe we need to deal with. I believe we should do this in a targeted fashion, both to get to consensus in the WG and to avoid disadvantaging legitimate TMCH registrants.

Best regards,

Greg