[GNSO-RPM-WG] Q#8

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Sep 17 14:51:42 UTC 2019

All,

Last week we found considerable overlap and common ground on Q#8.  I
promised to circulate language sharing that agreement and slightly
refining existing proposals.

Q#8:

3.2 The standards for inclusion in the Clearinghouse are:

3.2.1 Nationally or regionally registered word marks from all jurisdictions.

3.2.2 Any word mark that has been validated through a court of law or
other judicial proceeding.

3.2.3 Any word marks specified in and protected by a statute or treaty
/as trademarks /[1]//in effect at the time the mark is submitted to the
Clearinghouse for inclusion.

3.2.4 Other marks that constitute intellectual property.[see below]

3.2.5 Protections afforded to trademark registrations do not extend to
applications for registrations, marks.

[1] /By "trademarks," the WG means "trademarks, service marks,
certification marks and collective marks."
/

For purposes of clarity, separate or ancillary databases of the
Trademark Clearinghouse Provider (or another provider) may include other
marks, but those databases should not be used for Sunrise or Trademark
Claims Notices under the RPMs. Registries may use those separate or
ancillary databases to provide additional services but are not required
to do so under the RPMs.

//(Appropriate corresponding changes will be percolated across the
/Trademark Clearinghouse/ Applicant Guidebook)

Best, Kathy