[GNSO-RPM-WG] Q#8

Scott Austin SAustin at vlplawgroup.com
Wed Sep 18 13:46:24 UTC 2019

Kathy:
I tend to agree with John on the simplification but Rebecca does have a point on whether it is our role to suggest expanding the services of Deloitte. I don’t see the harm if it clarifies the process and provides an option for GI’s to obtain some form of protection.
To that end I have suggested a minor change to your footnote in the attached markup as it appears we are trying to provide an option for inclusion of GI in a non Claims/Sunrise context. To what extent they benefit or a protection mechanism remains unclear to me for further development. Also if the comments at the end are intended to be included perhaps conform would be more fitting than percolate (but given the pace perhaps a geological term is more appropriate).
In addition, is it the intention that footnote 1 in your text would become a defined term, as perhaps the draft should note that and locate it in the body of the TMCH standards where definitions are located.
Claudio provided a list of intellectual property categories in his email that omitted copyright and I wondered if that was intentional as it relates to GI’s? We may want to add copyright to his intellectual property categories in his email (especially if patents and trade secrets are included) as those “other” registrations and rights have been used to protect commerce sometimes as an add on for DMCA purposes or in lieu of TM registrations where conflicts over words or regulatory prohibitions (e.g. cannabis) may force a creative alternative.
Best regards,
Scott

Please click below to schedule a call with me through my assistant for:
  a 15-minute call<calendly.com/saustin2/15min>    a 30-minute call<calendly.com/saustin2/30min>    a 60-minute call<calendly.com/saustin2/60min>

[cid:image001.png at 01D56E02.58A70B30][IntellectualPropertyLaw 100]    [microbadge[1]] <http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/33308-fl-scott-austin-1261914.html>
Scott R. Austin | Board Certified Intellectual Property Attorney | VLP Law Group LLP
101 NE Third Avenue, Suite 1500, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301