[GNSO-RPM-WG] Proposed Agenda for RPM Meeting on 18 September 17:00-18:30 UTC

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Wed Sep 18 14:17:31 UTC 2019

Hi Brian,

Respectfully, when Phil surveyed our community for support, both
proposals - the Shatan *and *the Muskovitch/Kleiman Proposal -- had
considerable support.  One had deeper support (within one SG). One had
broader support, across a range of SGs and members, including
commercial, noncommercial, registries and academics. Both certainly met
the standard of support that we have used in other settings -- and we
have moved proposals with far less support out for public comment.

That said, if there is an interim way that we can navigate on this call,
great!  If there is a way to stop the Deloitte from extracting ordinary
words and letters from composite marks and entering them into the TMCH,
that seems to a joint and shared goal.

Quick recollection: we know from questionnaires of the WG that
TMCH/Deloitte's policy is to pull ordinary words from composite marks
(figurative, stylized, design, word+design marks -- various terms used
by our various members). We also know from the Analysis Group that the
TMCH database includes some of the most common dictionary terms and
generic terms such as love, hotel and one.

However, I hear what you are saying -- and wonder with you how can we
protect current brand owners and future brand owners (noting that future
brand owners are likely to use many ordinary and dictionary words in
their names)? Resolution of this design mark issue -- and its questions
-- is key.

Best, Kathy