[GNSO-RPM-WG] The Consensus Playbook

Julie Bisland julie.bisland at icann.org
Wed Apr 22 22:11:41 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Please see the completed Consensus Playbook and background information below.

Best Regards,

GNSO Team

==
Consensus Playbook Published

Originated from GNSO’s Policy Development Process (PDP) 3.0 initiative and a subsequent Additional Budget Request (ABR), the Consensus Playbook has been completed for the ICANN community to reference and use. The Consensus Playbook can be downloaded here: http://go.icann.org/consensus [go.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__go.icann.org_consensus&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=_uXXLar3TpUX5sFcTyMNnY7ySlf8fJvSX3_FcnmUf7U&s=tynjH9oHgTor10TepViQOA4wp3s3EiFPL56ylZ_aShE&e=>

This playbook was developed by an external vendor (Consensus Building Institute - CBI.org [cbi.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.cbi.org_&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=_uXXLar3TpUX5sFcTyMNnY7ySlf8fJvSX3_FcnmUf7U&s=OVHDwyMcEen7P9iZaEiy4W_hOuMBcsLwrTgR9ynRrwY&e=>) via an Additional Budget Request [go.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__go.icann.org_3bkd5Oz&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=_uXXLar3TpUX5sFcTyMNnY7ySlf8fJvSX3_FcnmUf7U&s=vmtJFknYt4Q3Fm4a82JtY1G9j6SVs8cKFuQ6z6fNPcM&e=> (ABR) for FY20 submitted by the GNSO Council, based on PDP 3.0 improvements [go.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__go.icann.org_pdp3dot0&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=_uXXLar3TpUX5sFcTyMNnY7ySlf8fJvSX3_FcnmUf7U&s=dkLUFuH3PAhFummFN9GDVZvnyOGQNrJZERNGojZ2Qwg&e=>. The ICANN Board approved<https://community.icann.org/x/Wxq8BQ> the ABR contingent upon the playbook being developed with broad applicability across the community, and not just limited to GNSO PDPs. Hence, this Consensus Playbook aims to provide community volunteers with practical tools and best practices for building consensus, bridging differences, and breaking deadlocks within ICANN processes beyond just GNSO working groups. In developing the playbook, CBI interviewed fourteen (14) ICANN community leaders across ICANN’s SOs and ACs, who shared their extensive consensus building experience in leading and participating in working groups and community groups.

The playbook stresses that consensus building should be considered as a journey and it does not just take place at the end of a group’s deliberations. To that end, we’d like to draw your attention to Appendix A, which serves as a reference guide to help inform you which of the fifteen (15) “plays” are applicable to the various phases of the community’s work.

It is important to note that this playbook does not seek to change the definition of consensus or the methods of decision making as prescribed in each community group’s rules and procedure; it does not seek to introduce any new requirements either. It is designed for the ICANN community and is only permitted to be used by the ICANN community in support of ICANN related work. The playbook shall not be used for any non-ICANN related purposes.

All ICANN community volunteers are strongly encouraged to review the playbook. We anticipate additional opportunities for the ICANN community to discuss the contents and practical utility of the playbook.