[GNSO-RPM-WG] Public Comment Analysis Summary Document - URS Proposals 1-3, 6, 11, 13, 15, 22, 26

claudio di gangi ipcdigangi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 18:15:46 UTC 2020

Phil,

Thanks for these helpful thoughts.

I wanted to put a marker down because I wasn’t on the call and the
decision-making obviously needs to be inclusive, utilize the list, etc. -
so that’s was the intend of the note last night. But yes, of course I can
provide further thinking to support my position on next steps.

>From my point of view, this proposal shouldn’t create an iota of
controversy, as it helps address an ongoing problem (the malicious bulk
registration of domains, including some used for DNS Abuse), it represents
an improvement over the status quo, and helps the URS serve it’s intended
purpose while helping all parties in the process save resources.

More specifically, to address the bad-faith registration of domains under a
very limited and specific fact pattern, the exact contours of which shall
be determined by the jurisprudence of the policy (in other words, the
panelist should have some limited discretion to hear the case and the
current rule should not be baked into the URS Procedures (preventing these
cases from ever being considered) - where it stands out like a sore thumb.

That’s all the proposal seeks to unwind - a rigid rule that is currently
hard-coded into the URS Procedures, and to provide the URS Providers
options to address these cases, where they feel appropriate, in a unified
manner when they occur (as similarly under the UDRP).

A hard-coded rule like the current rule baked into the URS Procedures,
restricting all and every “unrelated” complainant from ever bringing a
unified complaint - no matter what the factual circumstances of the case is
simply counter-logical and counter-productive.

The public comments reflect the URS Providers are open to the proposal (I
understand you quote WIPO, who is not a URS Provider), so I think we should
hear more from the URS Providers after changes are made to the proposal.

In practice, the proposal would apply to a very limited set of factual
circumstances (which is why I referenced Paul’s quote and the appearance of
his potential misunderstanding) and why this should be further discussed
and considered for WG adoption.

The proposal, as drafted now, is subject to broad over-interpretation and
misunderstanding - I believe this is reflected in some of the public
comments themselves.

It’s intended applicability is actually quite limited, but to an observer
that is not clear from the direct text of the proposal itself, hence the
need for revisions.

Also, I’m not sure if your summary of the public comments is your personal
summary, or something more formalized, but in either case, I think it
overstates the counting of the jelly beans and what inferences should be
drawn from that exercise.

The contracted party stakeholder groups do not oppose, as this can bring
potential efficiencies for them; the BC and IPC support, the URS Providers
appear open and other individual companies also support (in fact, more than
than the one company that you named that expressed some reservation.)

Please allow me some time and I can revert back with a deeper analysis of
the public comments, if needed, but I hope that is not necessary to move
things forward.

Based on the merits, this proposal should not be discarded out of hand;
some edits/changes can be made to bring much needed clarity, then it should
be discussed further by the WG at that time.

Cheers,
Claudio