[GNSO-RPM-WG] Question re: TM-PDDRP Draft from Small Group

Corwin, Philip pcorwin at verisign.com
Tue Sep 1 19:34:38 UTC 2020

Thanks for your response, Paul. With respect, I disagree.

Trust me that I am not trying to play word games or engage in sophistry, just trying to be very precise about language we might recommend that has potential  legal import. ICANN PDPs sometimes make very imprecise, excessively wordy, and somewhat muddled recommendations that subsequently lead to implementation problems and disputes, and then fail to do what was intended.

To repeat, registries do not sell domain names, and therefore cannot offer them for sale. No registry is offering/promoting the sale of the DN paulmcgrady.tld or any other particular DN, they are providing an opportunity for someone to register that DN via a registrar, and the supporting services that make for a viable website associated with the DN. Registries enter into contracts with registrars, and the way they get paid is through a contractual clause that essentially says ''if you facilitate the registration of a domain in .tld, you will pay us this wholesale price for each registration and subsequent renewal, and you are free to set your retail price as you wish and keep the difference - and in return we will maintain an accurate database of .tld registrations and related technical data, and provide secure and stable resolution services that facilitate finding the associated website on the Internet".

If you go to a registry and ask it to sell you a particular DN, their reply will be  "we don't sell DNs, but here is a list of our accredited registrars for the TLD you are interested in". If you ask a registry to show you its list of DN inventory, they will reply, "we have none, but you can register any combination of letters and numbers that hasn't already been registered by someone else - through an accredited registrar, not us". No TLD has a DN warehouse, but if one existed its inventory would be undefined and infinite.

So far as premium names are concerned, my view is that the registry is not offering inventory for sale, but is saying that there are certain potential domain names that it believes should command a wholesale price that is higher than standard. But it is the registrar that offers to facilitate that registration opportunity (sells the DN), and it is the registrant that that engages in registration and use that may be proper or infringing.

My concern is that adding the phrase "offering for sale" to the existing language of 6.2 does not provide clarification but adds further confusion. It does not assist trademark owners to add a reference to an activity that registries do not engage in. If an action is ever brought against a registry based upon that suggested clause its likely response will be "we do not offer domain names for sale to registrants, we provide registry services to businesses called registrars - and therefore we are not in violation".

In fact, I'd go further and suggest that the current PDDRP reference to "registration of domain names" is also incorrect --  because registries do not register domain names; they are registered by registrants, and that transaction is facilitated by registrars who subsequently notify the registry operator of the registration. If we want an effective RPM that can be used to discipline bad actor registries that actively encourage second level infringement, it should reference and name the actual activities that they engage in and the services they provide, not things they don't do. So maybe the small group should consider deleting "registration' and coming up with a description of activities that registries actually engage in and that mesh with the intent of this RPM.

So I'd end this response the same way I did my first post -- I would therefore urge the small group to determine more precisely what acts by registry operators not already covered by the current PDDRP they are seeking to target, and to bring back different language that does not use the phrase "offering for sale".

Philip S. Corwin

Policy Counsel

VeriSign, Inc.

12061 Bluemont Way