[GNSO-RPM-WG] DEADLINE COB 25 Sept - ACTION ITEM: Sunrise Recommendation #2 and Small Team 2 Suggested Language:

McGrady, Paul D. PMcGrady at taftlaw.com
Tue Sep 29 13:00:38 UTC 2020

Thanks Kathy.  I was on the STI with you and I remember it quite well.  The opening paragraph of the STI report you provided a link to makes it quite clear that the STI was implementation and not Policy:

“On 12 October 2009, the ICANN Board sent a letter1 to the GNSO requesting its review of the policy implications of certain trademark protection mechanisms proposed for the New gTLD Program, as described in the Draft Applicant Guidebook and accompanying memoranda. Specifically, the Board Letter requested that the GNSO provide input on whether it approves the proposed staff model, or, in the alternative, the GNSO could propose an alternative that is equivalent or more effective and implementable.”

The STI reviewed the already established Policy and the outputs from the IRT and from Staff and tried to select between two implementation models (the IRT’s and the Staff’s) to see which was “more effective and implementable.”

So, we can disagree on lots of things in this PDP, but we can’t disagree about actual and knowable facts.  The STI was implementation.  The PDP proceeding it was Policy.

Best,
Paul

[cid:image001.png at 01D69636.9C1DB000]

To receive regular COVID-19 updates from Taft, subscribe here<https://www.taftlaw.com/general/subscribe>. For additional resources, visit Taft's COVID-19 Resource Toolkit<https://www.taftlaw.com/general/coronavirus-covid-19-resource-toolkit>.

This message may contain information that is attorney-client privileged, attorney work product or otherwise confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, use and disclosure of this message are prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.