[Gnso-ssc] Recordings, Attendance, AC Chat from GNSO Standing Selection Committee call on 14 August 2017 at 18:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Mon Aug 14 21:17:44 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find below the mp3, attendance, Adobe Connect recording and chat for the GNSO Standing Selection Committee held on 14 August 2017 at 18:00 UTC.

Mp3:   http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ssc-14aug17-en.mp3<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ssc-14aug17-en.mp3[mailer.samanage.com]>

AC recording:  https://participate.icann.org/p7itd6rw6uv/

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page:    https://community.icann.org/x/fBMhB

Attendees:

Maxim Alzoba

Julf Helsingius

Poncelet Ileleji

Susan Kawaguchi

Osvaldo Novoa
Lori Schulman
Renata Aquino Ribeiro

Apologies:

Frederic Guillemaut

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Emily Barabas

Michelle DeSmyter

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 14 August 2017

 Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the GNSO Standing Selection Committee meeting on Monday, 14 August 2017 at 18:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_fBMhB&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=oHGdB_l_5UsSMPhRZvtqzg4NiNP4jjtqpBRgzwMTGoY&s=Uui-sZ75sjGJ1_pFeZ-RBR_JElSSsfG4FBDR4o_jpNA&e=
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:hello
  Julf Helsingius:Good evening!
  Michelle DeSmyter:Hello, welcome everyone!
  Julf Helsingius:Will mostly be typing today - got a bad cold and no voice left.
  Emily Barabas:sorry to hear that, Julf.
  Julf Helsingius:That's what happens when you visit Finland...
  Julf Helsingius:loud and clear
  Maxim Alzoba:I think there is a Finnish way to cure that - steam sauna and vodka (but the latter is for professionals only)
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Listening to you all well too
  Maxim Alzoba:At least I was told so in Helsinki by the local guy
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I won't be using audio much too
  Julf Helsingius:Maxim: I don't think the vodka would be good for my meeting participation...
  Maxim Alzoba:Julf: I agree, it might shift the perception of the moment
  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all
  Maxim Alzoba:curing cold
  Julf Helsingius:Thanks!
  Maxim Alzoba:it kills bad bacteria
  Maxim Alzoba:no SOI update for me
  Emily Barabas:we can move them
  Emily Barabas:materials about the SSR2 candidates are available here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_qA0hB&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=oHGdB_l_5UsSMPhRZvtqzg4NiNP4jjtqpBRgzwMTGoY&s=ZbbNGvtLqGql5Xb-jp-DuUs4xUWQGGyBKzbyhjdRVeI&e=
  Maxim Alzoba:I have already requested guidance from RySG ExCom and still waiting. Might provide my thinking about what was in materials though
  Julf Helsingius:How are we on diversity on the current SSR2?
  Maxim Alzoba:do we have a table of (location/part of GNSO/e/t/c for the current members)?
  Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome Lori! :)
  Maxim Alzoba:Hello Lori
  Emily Barabas:composition of the SSR2: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_SSR_Composition-2Bof-2BReview-2BTeam&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=oHGdB_l_5UsSMPhRZvtqzg4NiNP4jjtqpBRgzwMTGoY&s=rPlIvVmd-9HEebCFyJ3X7_NjfrGuhp1ITO5dDAKiqmw&e=
  Lori Schulman:Hi Maxim and everyone
  Lori Schulman:Sorry I am late
  Marika Konings:Susan, I think you are referring to Eric Oosterweil who was selected by RSSAC
  Julf Helsingius 2:Will the recording of this discussion be public?
  Marika Konings:@Julf - yes, unless the SSC would decide differently.
  Maxim Alzoba:I underline - it is my personal perspective and not the voice of Registries, which I am going to send later via e-mail
  Marika Konings:Note that the SSC charter does state that: "To facilitate its deliberations, the SSC may decide to conduct some or all ofits deliberations in private, but if so, it is expected to provide a rationale with its recommendations."
  Poncelet Ileleji:Sorry for arriving a bit late
  Maxim Alzoba:Hello Poncelet
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Hello
  Poncelet Ileleji:Am fine Maxim
  Julf Helsingius 2:I have a slight preference for Norm as an independent
  Osvaldo Novoa:@Julf me too
  Maxim Alzoba:As I understand we need to provide it before 24th AUGm and it is 10 days from now
  Poncelet Ileleji:Me too @Julf
  Lori Schulman:Hi, they are all 3 qualified.  I tend to lean toward either Scott or Norm because of their practical experience.  I think that Julf's point is well taken about Norm being independent.
  Julf Helsingius 2:definitely the sooner the better, as some councilors need to consult their constituency
  Julf Helsingius 2:I agree with Lori - all 3 are qualified
  Maxim Alzoba:as I understand Norm has more DNS operational experience
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:yes, all 3 are qualified and also all of them have practical experience, just some in larger organizations
  Julf Helsingius 2:Good point!
  Emily Barabas:Here is Norm Ritchie's SOI: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_gnsosoi_Norm-2BRitchie-2BSOI&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=oHGdB_l_5UsSMPhRZvtqzg4NiNP4jjtqpBRgzwMTGoY&s=PhnVj7-1hMYHM0jfArdGWjK8ixk2wsN4UFxSKlYWe0E&e=
  Maxim Alzoba:also he understands how Registry backends work
  Maxim Alzoba:from ISC times
  Osvaldo Novoa:He was president of the Registrar Group
  Maxim Alzoba:what time UTC do we have as a deadline?
  Julf Helsingius 2:I assume midnight
  Maxim Alzoba:ok
  Marika Konings:the motion deadline is 23.59 UTC today
  Maxim Alzoba:I had a personal experience with Norm, as the tech party behind the application
  Maxim Alzoba:he performed well
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Rao Naveed has been fellow multiple times and coach...
  Maxim Alzoba:both from the legal side of things and from tech/operational
  Lori Schulman:Draw straws?
  Maxim Alzoba:I think since RrSG rep is not here - we might need to reach RrSG ExCom
  Poncelet Ileleji:I Agree with Lori, on Draw Straws
  Marika Konings:you could do a ranking of the three candidates via a poll?
  Marika Konings:and see who comes out on top?
  Lori Schulman:I am thinking Scott or Nomr
  Osvaldo Novoa:I prefer Norm
  Lori Schulman:Norm
  Julf Helsingius 2:Norm+
  Poncelet Ileleji:Also as stated am thinking of Norm as an Independent
  Lori Schulman:I like the rankings idea
  Lori Schulman:its seems fair
  Maxim Alzoba:I like the ranking idea
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I think a survey w/ ranking would be good, can get more info from others not on the call
  Maxim Alzoba:yes
  Emily Barabas:sure no problem
  Maxim Alzoba:materials are few pages only per candidates
  Emily Barabas:sorry one moment
  Emily Barabas:sorry about that, here it is
  Emily Barabas:I will also send it around by email shortly
  Poncelet Ileleji:Thanks Emily
  Julf Helsingius 2:doesn't take long for us to read it
  Lori Schulman:reading now
  Julf Helsingius 2:looks good to me
  Maxim Alzoba:Do we need to add text that the 4th candidate expressed lack of interest?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:looks good to me
  Lori Schulman:That's is transparent
  Lori Schulman:5 infers that the 4th is not
  Maxim Alzoba:5th, but reading it - without this note might cause confusion
  Lori Schulman:Maybe say all were contacted and these are who accepted
  Julf Helsingius 2:Explicitly stating it draws attention to the one saying no - not sure that is fair
  Lori Schulman:put it positively not negatively
  Julf Helsingius 2:Agree with Lori
  Maxim Alzoba:can we say "three out of four "
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:i agree w/ three were still interested
  Lori Schulman:Yay! for vacation
  Lori Schulman:me too.  leaving Friday
  Julf Helsingius 2:Happy to do it
  Maxim Alzoba:+1 for Julf
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:thanks Julf
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:have a nice vacation you two :)
  Poncelet Ileleji:Am fine with the requested changes
  Maxim Alzoba:everything else looks fine
  Susan Kawaguchi:Thanks Renata!
  Emily Barabas:we will adjust the motion at the end of this call and circulate so everyone can take a final look
  Poncelet Ileleji:So am Fine
  Emily Barabas:Nothing I can think of
  Julf Helsingius 2:Remember what happened last time we didn't wait for everyone to respond... :)
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:i'm ok w/ 48h deadline and maybe a reminder for those who didn't answer for another 24h
  Maxim Alzoba:+1 about clear reminder in UTC time and date
  Julf Helsingius 2:Should be doable by email
  Poncelet Ileleji:Great +1
  Marika Konings:staff can send out the poll results and ask whether there are any objections to the results of the poll within 24 hours?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:+1
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:good too
  Maxim Alzoba:good idea
  Marika Konings::-)
  Poncelet Ileleji:+1
  Maxim Alzoba:Could we have this slide deck?
  Lori Schulman:can you post live link in chat?
  Marika Konings:Correct
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:+1 and on timeline too
  Emily Barabas:will send slides with the notes after this call
  Emily Barabas:thanks
  Marika Konings:the call for volunteers for ATRT3 has closed
  Marika Konings:so no new candidates are expected
  Marika Konings:or are you referring to the GNSO Liaison to the GAC?
  Maxim Alzoba:then it is fine
  Lori Schulman:GAC Liaison
  Maxim Alzoba:yes - it was relevant to GAC Liasion
  Marika Konings:Slides have now also been posted on the wiki: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_download_attachments_69276540_SSC-2520Meeting-2520-2D-252014-2520August-25202017-2520v3.pdf-3Fversion-3D1-26modificationDate-3D1502736485753-26api-3Dv2&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=oHGdB_l_5UsSMPhRZvtqzg4NiNP4jjtqpBRgzwMTGoY&s=gdEzHcIe7sFoC2j-0tXIaMnu3CO45RV6pmq56q_IIxg&e=
  Lori Schulman:can you please post link to candidates?  It is on slide by not live due to Adobe interface. Thanks.
  Lori Schulman:It takes years I think.
  Emily Barabas:The list of candidates and materials are available here: staff can send out the poll results and ask whether there are any objections to the results of the poll within 24 hours?
  Emily Barabas:sorry here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_qw0hB&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=oHGdB_l_5UsSMPhRZvtqzg4NiNP4jjtqpBRgzwMTGoY&s=H9GuOAyni5mcwGwxLUSTMmjHLJpn2k-xNBn5o28hUb8&e=
  Lori Schulman:thanks.
  Emily Barabas:at the bottom of the page
  Maxim Alzoba:how many do we need to select?
  Marika Konings:Note that staff (our colleagues at MSSI) already conducted a first assessment of the candidates which can be also be found on the wiki (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_download_attachments_69275051_ATRT3-2520Applicants-2520-2D-2520Staff-2520Assessment-2520of-2520Expertise.pdf-3Fversion-3D1-26modificationDate-3D1501788635000-26api-3Dv2&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=oHGdB_l_5UsSMPhRZvtqzg4NiNP4jjtqpBRgzwMTGoY&s=VkrZBmxt_GfSoj2epZWx9vOPpx5uTm4cAUwjlyhq4IY&e=)
  Marika Konings:3 guaranteed seats and 4 possible additional candidates (which is up to the SO/AC Chairs to select)
  Maxim Alzoba:Do we have confirmations from particular GNSO bodies (about the support of ATRT3 candidates)?
  Emily Barabas:Maxim, we have just received confirmation individuals who are members of SGs/Cs -- the wiki will be updated shortly
  Marika Konings:note that we do not ask about support, just confirm whether affiliation is correct
  Marika Konings:and as a reminder, there is no requirement to be affiliated with an SG/C to get nominated
  Maxim Alzoba:but there needs to be affiliation of GNSO
  Marika Konings:for example, the SSC nominated Erika Mann for the RDS RT who is not a member of any GNSO SG/C
  Maxim Alzoba:@Marika, it was questionable, but it worked
  Marika Konings:@Maxim - maybe not necessarily affiliation but affinity and/or knowledge?
  Emily Barabas:How would you like the poll to be structured for this one?
  Maxim Alzoba:it depends on a particular task, for example if seats are allocated for GNSO,
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:diversity should also be observed right?
  Maxim Alzoba:I think there should be either support or affiliation
  Julf Helsingius 2:why?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ok no other questions thanks
  Poncelet Ileleji:I aree Diversity should be observed
  Julf Helsingius 2:Maxim: how about us NCA's?
  Maxim Alzoba:it depends on the task
  Marika Konings:but for example for ATRT, there could be an independent expert on accountability who would have applied that the GNSO might want to endorse, even though the person may not be familiar with the GNSO. Hypothetically speaking.
  Maxim Alzoba:+1 Marika
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:yes i agree on reviewing
  Poncelet Ileleji:True indeed
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:i remember there weren't many suggested changes
  Maxim Alzoba:it would be great to see at least one candidate for GAC Liasion :)
  Marika Konings:and at some point the SSC needs to review its charter :-)
  Marika Konings:as requested by the GNSO Council when it was set up
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:thanks, it was a very productive meeting
  Osvaldo Novoa:Thank you bye
  Lori Schulman:Thanks Susan.  Enjoy your time off.  I will.
  Maxim Alzoba:bye all
  Susan Kawaguchi:Thanks Lori, enjoy your vacation too.