[Gnso-ssc] Recordings, attendance & AC Chat from GNSO Standing Selection Committee call on Wednesday 7 February 2018

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Wed Feb 7 16:08:40 UTC 2018

Dear all,

Please find below the mp3, attendance, Adobe Connect recording and chat for the GNSO Standing Selection Committee held on 7 February 2018 at 13:00 UTC.

Mp3:    https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ssc-07feb18-en.mp3

AC recording:   https://participate.icann.org/p74zp62fk12/<https://participate.icann.org/p74zp62fk12/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=390c3f629a9e8e92538fa5bc6556c919e68cbc880986f44a1f33dc54377bb732>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DwMFAw&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=T7dihC2KOrCcSh6gqpTR1zCFx6SDUZafJQ6Z4qc9EiM&s=3HhajnbnTWuZUZEJAXO8Aq9jObFFkFkQnqqqiEFK8dw&e=>

Agenda Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/hQ68B

Attendees:

Maxim Alzoba

Renata Aquino Ribeiro

Susan Kawaguchi

Osvaldo Novoa
 Frederic Guillemaut
Lori Schulman

Apologies:

Erika Mann

 Poncelet Illelji

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Emily Barabas

Nathalie Peregrine

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 7 February 2018
  Nathalie Peregrine:Welcome to the GNSO Standing Selection Committee meeting on Wednesday 7 February  2018 at 13:00 UTC for 60 minutes.
  Nathalie Peregrine:Wiki agenda page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_hQ68B&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=BvQDYb09Ob8lYy1_40DgxXyegkZT9uo6dJ1751M0UeI&s=37FGXUhzkasEGuadIJSHb_tFi7xNPOx-msS-tEeTKiM&e=
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Hello all
  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all
  Guillemaut Frederic:Hello All
  Nathalie Peregrine:Welcome all!
  Osvaldo Novoa:Today I will have to leave some minutes before the hour, I have to get to another meeting.
  Susan Kawaguchi:thanks for letting us know Osvaldo
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:yes
  Guillemaut Frederic:Thanks
  Maxim Alzoba:I will have to drop 10 minutes to the top of the hour (in 45 min)
  Maxim Alzoba:@Emily, please grant us scrolling ability
  Emily Barabas:you can now scroll
  Lori Schulman:Hi, just letting folks know that I finally solved my Confluence issue.
  Maxim Alzoba:thnks
  Emily Barabas:@Lori, great!
  Maxim Alzoba:Good news Lori
  Lori Schulman:My browser had been reverting to an old screen and password without my realizing it.
  Emily Barabas:Oh, that's frustrating. I'm glad it's resolved
  Lori Schulman:I missed the poll but I read the materials
  Lori Schulman:yes, the old screen was popping up in  every new link
  Marika Konings:Nothing to add :-)
  Emily Barabas:I extrapolated to large extent the skills with what was indicated as experience in resumes but that doesn't mean they are accurate assumptions. we may need more details from applicants with regard to requested skills.This is a long list of criteria. Some of them are wide and it is difficult to juge with yes or no. I hope we reach a consensus.There are concerns in RySG that diversity should be taken into account from geo and constituency points of view (from perspective of leaving SSR2 member). The candidate with the scientific background might bring scientific point of view, which would allow SSR2 more wholistic approach to the reviews.
  Guillemaut Frederic:i have lost sound.
  Emily Barabas:I extrapolated to large extent the skills with what was indicated as experience in resumes but that doesn't mean they are accurate assumptions. we may need more details from applicants with regard to requested skills.
  Emily Barabas:This is a long list of criteria. Some of them are wide and it is difficult to juge with yes or no. I hope we reach a consensus.
  Marika Konings:@Frederic - you may need to restart your AC?
  Nathalie Peregrine:I still have AC audio, would you like me to dial out to you to join the phone bridge?
  Emily Barabas:There are concerns in RySG that diversity should be taken into account from geo and constituency points of view (from perspective of leaving SSR2 member). The candidate with the scientific background might bring scientific point of view, which would allow SSR2 more wholistic approach to the reviews.
  Maxim Alzoba:PTI  = new IANA
  Lori Schulman:post transition iana
  Lori Schulman:I guess I am old
  Emily Barabas:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__pti.icann.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=BvQDYb09Ob8lYy1_40DgxXyegkZT9uo6dJ1751M0UeI&s=sUNMlCby38AZQVDBHoTMrVGXLImWuks5K-rEIKbs2W0&e=
  Emily Barabas:Public Technical Identifiers, formerly Post Transition ICANN
  Guillemaut Frederic:i am bakc
  Guillemaut Frederic:i'll connect to the phone bridge
  Marika Konings:NCSG
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Some of the 1s Naveed had are probably mine as I've assessed also his fellowship experience and a lot of skills asked is covered by presentations and experiences of fellowship program. All fellows go through these presentations and follow up to learn more according to their interest.
  Guillemaut Frederic:Jamzs Bladel ?
  Marika Konings:James = NCSG if I am not mistaken
  Marika Konings:James Gannon
  Guillemaut Frederic:Registrar
  Lori Schulman:and regional diversity most likely
  Marika Konings:Norm Ritchie, no?
  Maxim Alzoba:I think we need to add it to the matrix of the whole membership of SSR2 - so we see the picture about SO/ACs
  Lori Schulman:However, Scott's Resume is all about security
  Maxim Alzoba:Norm is not from GNSO at all , if I am not mistaken
  Emily Barabas:Norm Ritchie unaffiated
  Emily Barabas:unaffiliated
  Emily Barabas:James Gannon was NCUC
  Marika Konings:Correct, Eric was nominated by RSSAC
  Emily Barabas:Denise is BC
  Emily Barabas:and that's it for the GNSO: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_SSR_Composition-2Bof-2BReview-2BTeam&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=BvQDYb09Ob8lYy1_40DgxXyegkZT9uo6dJ1751M0UeI&s=YV1G-dztW0cIGLwNeENeNHv0InYvv90Uxforjtpnnpo&e=
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:what's the url for candidates material again?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I think Naveed has both NCUC and SSAC affiliaton
  Marika Konings:you may want to look at teh overall composition of the review team, not just the GNSO appointed candidates?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:(need to recall)
  Lori Schulman:I think that Rao's security experience is more about doing ICANN trainings; Scott's is about real world world experience
  Marika Konings:There are currently 4 from the AP region vs. 4 from NA region
  Lori Schulman:I don't know either personally...does anyone?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Rao Naveed is an academic, a teacher. Scott is indeed an industry professional.
  Emily Barabas:Candidate materials: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_qA0hB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=BvQDYb09Ob8lYy1_40DgxXyegkZT9uo6dJ1751M0UeI&s=sz3nLRRretvzcTtm6-Trmpkp3SKYiPjS2XoPOoTbWAA&e=
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:tks Emily
  Lori Schulman: If the review team is tasked with reading a contract, then I presume they will read it
  Lori Schulman:industry professionals do read contracts because they live with them in the business world
  Maxim Alzoba:!Lori, they usually do not read non relevant contracts
  Lori Schulman:Agree with Maxim's suggestion to have a review of all compliance agreements
  Maxim Alzoba:and for SSR2 it is more about backend services company contracts with registry or registrar
  Lori Schulman:I am not sure that an Engineering professional is more apt to read legal docs.  no one likes reading legal docs except lawyers
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I've just re-checked Naveed has NCUC, ALAC and RSSAC affiliations
  Maxim Alzoba:me is a beurocrate  and psecial projects , so I read it :)
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:but he submitted as NCUC
  Lori Schulman:Agree with Marika, I would prefer to match skills to complement
  Guillemaut Frederic:hello  i am back on the audio bridge.
  Lori Schulman:Scott and Rao's scores are fairly equal with Scott exceeding in some and Rao exceeding in others...they are almost equally balancec
  Lori Schulman:at least according to the chart
  Lori Schulman:Rao's soft skills seem to be ranked higher
  Lori Schulman:Scott's hard skills seem to be ranked higher
  Lori Schulman:Based on a quick read of this chart
  Lori Schulman: I lean toward Scott because of the nature of the review
  Nathalie Peregrine:Erika Mann has just sent her apology for today's call.
  Lori Schulman:it's a hard core assessment of a business operation
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I think Rao Naveed has more experience than he was ranked, but I would interpret that comes from his resumé, which focus on academic side, even though he did have professional experience
  Osvaldo Novoa:I support Scott also, due to his profile and the actual group profile.
  Emily Barabas:These are the poll results from last year
  Lori Schulman:2017 you mean?
  Maxim Alzoba:RySG is more lean to support Naveed from SO/AC balance point of view and an ability to bring scientific point of view
  Lori Schulman:I don't remember voting in the poll but I would vote for Scott now
  Guillemaut Frederic:RRSG : we would also think Rao would bring a less business like point of view.
  Guillemaut Frederic:And therefore would prefer Rao
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:Naveed is also now the lead of all fellowship coaches so training will be what he does
  Lori Schulman:Renata, do you know Rao?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I do not know him personally
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:But I can speak to the wg he leads
  Lori Schulman:If Susan knows Scott and Renata knows Rao maybe they could speak to each candidate?
  Maxim Alzoba:also Naveed has schientific experiene in networking technology
  Marika Konings:would it be worth asking Norm and Denise what types of skills / type of person would be most valuable to the SSR as they have first hand experience of what is needed / required?
  Lori Schulman:does "active in ICANN" carry more weight?  sometimes, I wonder if we need more objective, less subjective reviewers...I am not sure.  ICANN knowledge can certainly give someone a leg up in this multifaceted environment
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:yes, just to sum up, I think Rao Naveed has been a part of ICANN community for a long time and his extensive knowledge of SO/ACs as fellow and coach could be interesting for SSR2 resuming work.
  Lori Schulman:no objections
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:no
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:these are 2 very different profiles, imo.
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:And both with considerable knowledge
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I guess SSR2 leads can help w/ their perspective but would be non binding for our assessment right?
  Osvaldo Novoa:fine with me
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:For instance, ICANN contractual compliance this is something currently hammered in ICANN fellows head and not assessable by Naveed's resumé
  Marika Konings:@Renate - yes, I believe that is the idea
  Marika Konings:Denise has been involved in the RT from the start (Norm only joined later)
  Marika Konings:and maybe you also want to reach out to James G.?
  Marika Konings:as he did work with the RT as well from the start
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I think reaching out to currently leads would be best wouldn't it?
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:there are 2 co-chairs in SSR2?
  Maxim Alzoba:most probably co-chirs would be a good idea
  Guillemaut Frederic:ok to talk to the co chiars, but we should define what we want to ask ?
  Osvaldo Novoa:yes
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:what type of profile, if they would take advantage of knowledge from ICANN or from industry
  Emily Barabas:Yes, we can draft something. It sounds like we are asking for a general recommendation about the skills or profile type that is most helpful, correct?
  Marika Konings:and after feedback has been received, you can run the poll so it can help inform your ranking?
  Maxim Alzoba:bye all, need to drop the call - will wait e-mail with from Emily
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:ok thanks
  Nathalie Peregrine:Thank you Maxim.
  Marika Konings:You can submit a placeholder motion and fill in the name once decided
  Lori Schulman:so maybe the chairs can respond in 2 business days or is that too fast?
  Emily Barabas:Document deadline is Feb 12
  Emily Barabas:Council meeting is Feb 22
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I think we should get back to list
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I mean send the following steps
  Lori Schulman:We can go to list with questions, answers and new polls
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:yes
  Renata Aquino Ribeiro:I will have to leave call unf. sorry but will catch up soon
  Marika Konings:correct Emily
  Marika Konings:you could have it for discussion at the upcoming meeting, if feasible, but for formal consideration, it would need to be submitted with a motion
  Marika Konings:by the deadline for the following meeting
  Guillemaut Frederic:nothins special
  Emily Barabas:Thanks all
  Guillemaut Frederic:thank you,
  Guillemaut Frederic:bye,