[Gnso-ssr] discussion -- SAC061 -- SSAC Comment on ICANN's Initial Report from the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Mon Feb 17 01:46:48 UTC 2014

Mikey

The lack of uniform Whois display means we all have crazy regex rules on our systems to make sense of what we run into in the wild ...

------------------------
Mr. Michele Neylon
Blacknight
http://Blacknight.tel

Via iPhone so excuse typos and brevity

On 16 Feb 2014, at 19:36, "Mike O'Connor" <mike at haven2.com<mailto:mike at haven2.com>> wrote:

hi Greg,

you raise a couple of interesting questions.

1) in the case of a thin registry, how does the gaining registrar do that 2013 RAA verification and validation?  it’s my understanding that job is easier if both registrars are under the 2013 RAA, because then they are both obligated to provide uniform Whois display.  so a script could be written to pull that data from the losing registrar and that script could count on success.  but what if the losing registrar isn’t a signatory to 2013 RAA yet?  that looks like another in that pile of dependencies, no?

2) what about all the European registrars (like Michele) who <stirring up a hornet’s nest> haven’t signed the 2013 RAA yet because of the conflict with European privacy law?  yet another dependency, i bet.

OK.  what i’ve learned from this topic so far is;

- EWG still has substantial work to do, which certainly won’t be finished by Singapore — but maybe London

- we should wait to see how SAC061 advice is incorporated into that EWG report before trying to decide what the next step is for the GNSO - so again, maybe London

fair summary?  is there anything in SAC061 the GNSO should look at in Singapore?

mikey