[Gnso-ssr] discussion -- SAC060 -- User Experience Implications of Active Variant TLDs

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Mon Feb 24 13:26:41 UTC 2014

hi all,

i’m using Kal’s comment as a great reason to start up a new thread that focuses on SAC060.  i’m going to put my kickoff questions at the top of this post and then provide background and documentation links below.

some thread-starting questions:

- what do the “ongoing” and “open” statuses in MyICANN imply?

- opening up the details under the recommendations i’m confronted with many “TBC” entries — what does that mean.  to be considered?  to be confirmed?  to be completed?

- only a couple of the entries on this page list an action-taken by the Board - is there a plan?

- Recommendation 9 (the one about emergency back-end operators/EBERO’s supporting variant TLDs) is listed as closed and fully implemented.  is that possible, given the other open issues?

- what’s the overall status of all this?  good?  bad?

- there are a fair number of IDNs in the root now — is the the user-experience framework far enough along that we’re comfortable that label generation rules (LGRs) will not conflict?

- given all this, is there GNSO policy-action (initial report, alert to a currently-running Working Group, notification to constituencies and stakeholder groups, etc.) that would be helpful in moving this along?

mikey

here’s a link to the report

	https://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-060-en.pdf

here’s a (sorry, gigantic) link that will take you to a listing of the recommendations and their current status on MyICANN

	https://www.myicann.org/board-advice#advice-to-board_f=sac060&advice-to-board_d=false

and here’s the list of recommendations from the SAC060 Executive Summary (any typos are mine, i had to retype these)

Recommendation 1: The root zone must use one and only one set of Label Generation Rules (LGR).

Recommendation 2: ICANN must maintain a secure, stable, and objective process to resolve cases in which some members of the community (e.g. , an applicant for a TLD) do not agree with the result of the LGR calculations.

Recommendation 3: ICANN should concentrate foremost on the rules for the root zone.

Recommendation 4: ICANN should coordinate and encourage adoption of these rules at the second and higher levels as a starting point by:

• Updating the IDN Implementation Guidelines and recognizing that a modified version of these rules or a review or appeals process must be required to address special cases for the first and second levels;

• Maintaining and publishing a central repository of rules for second - level domain labels ( 2LD s ) for all Top Level Domains ( TLDs ), encouraging TLD operators to publish their LGRs publicly in the repository maintained by ICANN; and

• Conducting specific training and outreach sessions in cooperation with generic TLD ( gTLD ) and country code TLD ( ccTLD ) operators who intend to launch Internationalize d Domain Name ( IDN ) 2LDs or IDN TLDs, with a focus on consistency of user experience. The outreach should include among others registrants , end users, and application developers.

Recommendation 5: Be very conservative with respect to the code points that are permitted in root zone labels.

Recommendation 6: Because the removal of a delegation from the root zone can have significant non - local impact, new rules added to a LGR must, as far as possible, be backward compatible so that new versions of the LGR do not produce results that are incompatible with historical (existent) activations.

Recommendation 7: Should ICANN decide to implement safeguards, it should distinguish two types of failure modes when a user expects a variant to work, but it is not implemented : denial of service versus misconnection.

Recommendation 8: A process should be developed to activate variants from alloca ta ble variants in LGR.

Recommendation 9: ICANN must ensure that Emergency Back - End Registry Operator ( EBERO ) providers support variant TLDs, and that parity exists for variant support in all relevant systems and functions associated with new TLD components.

Recommendation 10: The current rights protection regime associated with the Trademark Clearinghouse ( TMCH ) process is susceptible to homographic attacks. The roles of the involved parties, specifically registrars, registries , and TMCH, related to matching must be made clear.

Recommendation 11: When registries calculate variant sets for use in validation during registration, such calculations must be done against all of the implemented LGRs covering the script in which the label is applied for.

Recommendation 12: The matching algorithm for TMCH must be improved.

Recommendation 13: The TMCH must add support for IDN variant TLDs. Particularly during the TM Claims service, a name registered under a TLD that has allocated variant TLDs should trigger trademark holder notifications for the registration of the name in all of its allocated variant TLDs.

Recommendation 14: ICANN should ensure that the number of strings that are activated is as small as possible