[GTLD-WG] Workspace on the Issue of Private Ownership of Common Words as TLDs

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Nov 13 21:54:54 UTC 2012

On 13 November 2012 16:19, CW Mail <mail at christopherwilkinson.eu> wrote:

> ICANN may feel comfortable expropriating the English language, where
> certain authorities may have been lax in the past in their
> self- confidence, but I can assure you that the same policy translated
> to other languages and cultures will not travel. Words are
> NOT "commodities".

That assertion is certainly counter to the reality of most IDN TLD
applications, which are themselves not coined company names but rather
common words in their own scripts.

> PPS:    In the light of the exception that I entertained, below,
> please recall that .name, .pro, .museum are OPEN TLDs.

Sorry, no <http://about.museum/register/>.

Dot-pro used to be closed, but unilaterally opened up in 2008 only because
its original model failed.

- Evan