[GTLD-WG] Workspace on the Issue of Private Ownership of Common Words as TLDs

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Tue Nov 13 22:08:00 UTC 2012

On 13 Nov 2012, at 21:54, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org>
 wrote:

> On 13 November 2012 16:19, CW Mail <mail at christopherwilkinson.eu> wrote:
>

>> ICANN may feel comfortable expropriating the English language, where
>> certain authorities may have been lax in the past in their
>> self- confidence, but I can assure you that the same policy translated
>> to other languages and cultures will not travel. Words are
>> NOT "commodities".
>>

> That assertion is certainly counter to the reality of most IDN TLD
> applications, which are themselves not coined company names but rather
> common words in their own scripts.
>

>> PPS:    In the light of the exception that I entertained, below,
>> please recall that .name, .pro, .museum are OPEN TLDs.
>>

> Sorry, no <http://about.museum/register/>.
>
> Dot-pro used to be closed, but unilaterally opened up in 2008 only because
> its original model failed.
There's a bit of a difference between a string having certain criteria associated with registration ie. .museum or .aero are "open" to any entity that meets the criteria
However if a Google or Amazon closed generic was launched, based on the applications they've submitted, then no other entities would be able to register domains in that namespace except for Google / Amazon.
There are a couple of other strings that have been applied for that are "semi-open" ie. anyone can register them, but you need to use a specific service to avail of the domain name (Google's .blog is planned to be only available to BlogSpot users)

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon