[GTLD-WG] Workspace on the Issue of Private Ownership of Common Words as TLDs

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Nov 14 00:23:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

<with WG chair hat off>

I tend to support this view

I beleive that we knew there would be this sort of application in the GNSO when we were coming up with the policy.    And no one considered it a problem, at least not that I noticed - and since as g-council chair I was looking for the consensus point for the recommendations, I think I would have noticed.  We also discussed it during Vertical Integration (VI) WG as one of the case studies, the singe user model, and I do not think anyone objected to the model qua the model.

I do not see how this affects the Registry/Registrar model.  In order to use second level names, even internally, they need to be registered by a registrar.  With the VI decision, that registrar can be the registry itself as long as it signs the RAA and pays the fees.  Of course, they need to allow any registrar that meets their conditions for registering the names, to register them - not that I expect there would be many takers for such internal registrations, but depending on the services a registrar offered, one never knows.  I do not think we should deviate from this model just because someone decides to use the single user model.  They should have to live by the same rules as any registry with regard to the registration of second level names by RAA registrars

But, I see no basis for baring the single use business model.

<with chair hat back on>

I think the issue is one where we should record the various positions on both sides of the argument.  We should then see if we can get rough consensus for some action/statement.  And as mentioned during yesterday's WG call, we should include those who commented on the issue for the ANgRG in any discussions.

I look forward to the first version of the write up

cheers

avri