[GTLD-WG] Workspace on the Issue of Private Ownership of Common Words as TLDs

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 03:31:07 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> Even creating mushy middle-grounds
> such as "semi-open" (I prefer "ajar").

LOL.

So now, 'open' you say?

You mean the glorified joint tenancy model where the commercial operation -
the registry - owns the high level and 'rents' a word - any and every
conceivable 'word', whether of notice in the Oxford English Dictionary or
not, even if they don't know it before I tell 'em - at second-level thru
its agent, the registrar, to a consumer like say me for me for oh, 2 years
or so in consideration of a certain sum?

Well knock me down and steal mah teeth!  ICANN lives  ....and dies......on
the presumption that words are property! So unless you're prepared to argue
'raze it, even to its foundation', then to what purpose I ask you?

This is the time when the literature of my youth comes flooding back..'the
moving finger writes, and having writ, moves on....nor all thy piety and
wit shall lure it back....'

- Carlton