[GTLD-WG] Workspace on the Issue of Private Ownership of Common Words as TLDs

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Nov 14 05:32:42 UTC 2012

On 13 Nov 2012, at 19:32, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight wrote:

>> I tend to support this view
>
> I know, but you also know that I, and others, don't

I think the point is that the view of the community is split on this.    There are people on both sides of this issue.

But you say you disagree, so can you point to anything in the policy recommendation made by the GNSO, or anything in any of the succession of implementation oriented DAGs, or comments on these, that backs up your position that private use of a string that has the happy coincidence of being a word like 'book' is something that should not be countenanced?

I think that as opposed to going back and forth on our feelings about the strings that should, or should not, be protected from single use, it would be good to find the chapter and verse in this many year process that gives an indication that this should be out of bounds.  If you have such evidence, I think it would be good to contribute it to the effort  Evan is lead on documenting the issue and the various views about the issue.  The best way to make sure that contribution to the ANgWG, which may end up a recommendation to the ALAC for advice to the Board, is to have everyone with a PoV contribute to the work of producing the document we will be discussing.

I think one interesting thing about this issue is that it cuts across ACs and SOs, across constituencies and SGs.  I find that almost every group I look at that is discussing this issue is split on it.

And welcome to the work of this group.

avri