[GTLD-WG] Community review of TMCH Strawman proposals

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Dec 1 08:41:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

A question has been posed to me on whether ALAC should comment on the Trademark Clearing House (TMCH) straw made proposals made by Staff as a reult of consultations with a group on ICANN stakeholders.

The announcement found at: http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-30nov12-en.htm  contains the following inteoduction

"
The Trademark Clearinghouse facilitates the protection of trademark rights during the initial allocation and registration periods for domain names in new generic top level domains (new gTLDs). All newgTLD registries will be required to use Clearinghouse data to ensure that a set of mandatory trademark rights protection mechanisms are applied to all new domain registrations occurring in at least the first 90 days of domain registration.

Following discussions at the Toronto meeting, ICANN met with a group of stakeholder representatives to complete implementation discussions on the Trademark Clearinghouse and its associated rights protection mechanisms. Among other subjects, these implementation meetings addressed the recentIPC/BC proposal for Improvements and Enhancements to the RPMs for new gTLDs
< http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/correspondence/metalitz-to-pritz-17oct12-en.pdf>.
"

ALAC had two representatives on the panel Alan and Evan.

The comment period ends 21 December.  If this group decides it is appropriate to comment, we should recommend this to the ALAC and could provide a statement for them to approve.  I have yet to determine a schedule with the ALAC Chair and Staff to determine when such recommendation/Statement would need ot be delivered to ALAC.  for safety sake, I would assume that any statement we made would need to be ready at least by 14 December.

I beleive that this group can opt to:
- recommend that no statement/comment is necessary
- comment on the process issue related to such special groups and policy making
- comment on the distinction between implementation and policy
- comment on the substance of the strawman proposals
- comment on both process and substance
- other?

To begin the discussion, I would like to get comments from Alan and Evan on their view about all of this.  i beleive they have submitted reports to other lists which they might forward to this list.

And obviously, we need to hear from the members of the group on the issues and on what we would like to recommend.

If we decide to make a statement, I will be looking for people to write sections of that statement.  I will act as collating editor for any statement but given a very strong negative personal view on this event, will remain a neutral editor during this activity.  I am assuming all of you will act as a check and balance to insure I remain neutral in expressing the will of the group.

avri