[GTLD-WG] Fwd: Community review of TMCH Strawman proposals

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun Dec 2 23:49:37 UTC 2012

Hi Avri and fellow WGers,

Being involved in the both the Trademark Clearinghouse and the Red Cross /
Olympic / NGO debate, I'm more than happy to engage here on three recent
gTLD initiatives that are relevant to us. All are in the realm of name
protection, but trademark owners and non-governmental organisations have
taken very different paths to impose their will (using very blunt
instruments) on the rest of the community. And the recent shopping list of
country objections to TLD applications clearly strikes me as abuse of the
intent of the objection process that came out of the "MAPO" debates.

I have strong personal feelings on these events, though my analysis is
incomplete. These moves - and the ways they are being dealt with - signal
notable shifts in the way ICANN works (some but not all of these changes
are positive from the public interest PoV). The GNSO is wailing about ICANN
working around it and subverting the MSM. But the GNSO's historic approach
to policy making has in very large part been direct cause of the current
problems; it is reaping what it has sown.

There are actually multiple related statements that the ALAC could (and IMO
should) be making:
1. The issue of blocking domains based on prior use needs more thoughtful
and nuanced approaches than are being relentlessly advanced.
2. The current PDP system is too slow and unwieldy for many issues, and a
PDP "light" is needed but its design must be balanced and have GAC and ALAC
buy-in integral.
3. Lack of clear distinction between policy and implementation, which has
suited the GNSO well until now, is now being used against it.

The changes happening are significant, and far too late into the gTLD
expansion program for my liking.

My thoughts on these issues are still evolving;  I welcome the engagement
of other WG members as we consider how to react.

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada

Em: evan at telly dot org