[GTLD-WG] [ALAC] ICANN News Alert -- ICANN Publishes Updated gTLD Marketplace Health Index

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Fri Jun 22 13:56:09 UTC 2018

On 21/06/2018 20:45, Eduardo Diaz wrote:
> Olivier;
>
> I found the report encompassing. The only thing that I would add is how
> much $$ the total business is making.
>
> Having said that, now I can see why ICANN is reducing its budget. GTld
> growth is flat. I wonder if that has to do with sites like Facebook and
> such were people create pages very easily for all kind of purposes without
> acquiring a domain name.
>
> -ed

It is a combination of factors, Ed. Some of the gTLDs are growing but
some of the legacy gTLDs are losing domain names. Some of the new gTLDs
are stabilising and a few are doing well. However, both ICANN and some
of the registries underestimated the both the costs of marketing and the
work involved in getting a new gTLD established. Then again, ICANN's
initial predictions for new gTLD registration volume would not be out of
place in a newspaper Astrology column. The majority of domain names are
not used for websites. However, they may be used for mail services or
linked to social media presences.

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 3:24 AM Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> as you know, I am on the Advisory Panel
>> <https://community.icann.org/display/projgtldmarkthealth/gTLD+Marketplace+Health+Index>
>> that has worked on putting together this set of statistics. I would be
>> really interested in your feedback ahead of this Sunday. (24 June 2018)
>> That's the day when I am set to meet the main contractor performing the
>> metric collection and analysis. It is a great opportunity if we think that
>> anything should be done differently - but please bear in mind that we have
>> been working on this for over a year and some of the "missing" metrics
>> might be due to objections from some parties, mostly based on the
>> impossibility to find a consensus definition of a specific metric.

I'd be interested in hearing the contractor's views on the
registrar/reseller effect on markets, Olivier. Thought that the
contractor was only validating metrics and methodology and that ICANN
was providing most of the data/stats?

Regards...jmcc
(Also on the Advisory Panel.)
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  And Historical DNS Database.
Ireland        *  Over 516 Million Domains Tracked.
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com