[GTLD-WG] [CPWG] Geo Names Scenarios

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Mon Aug 5 20:11:35 UTC 2019

On 05/08/2019 20:07, Jonathan Zuck wrote:
> *Folks,*
>
> On Wednesday’s call, I hope to circulate the link to a survey, for
> everyone to spread to the community, regarding Geo Names scenarios. In
> an effort to get past the rhetoric and down to brass tacks, as we say,
> we’re looking at “outcomes” that we may or may not like. If we we are
> able to identify the outcomes we won’t and don’t want, we can set about
> crafting policy recommendations, if not for subproc than at least the
> board, that would most likely lead to those outcomes. Hope that makes
> sense. Remember the questions we will aks about each scenario are:
>
>  1. Do you believe this scenario to be likely, given the status quo?
>  2. How satisfied would you be with this scenario?

It looks very much like an angels and pinheads situation with a lot of
hypotheticals. Some of the existing Geo NGTs are not doing well and it
might be better to examine the reasons for this before going off on a
tangent about hypothetical situations that may or may not affect a
second round of NGTs.

On item 1: people in many areas outside the US consider their local
ccTLD to be the first choice TLD. Having millions of domains in a geo
database might be impressive but the Internet, and most people in those
regions will just ignore it and continue using their local ccTLD. (By
the way, .NAME is a real gTLD so it might better to use .EXAMPLE for
examples.)

On item 2: Duplication. Capital city names are not necessarily unique. I
think that the guys from .BERLIN explained the process of having to get
permission from the city council/authorities before applying for the NGT.

On item 3: Doesn't the Catholic Church have .CATHOLIC?

On item 4: More rules and regulations for non-existent NGTs? Go look at
the structure of the .US ccTLD. It was intended to have a kind of
geographical and regulatory subdomains structure. The problem is that
TLDs tend towards simplicity. Brand names and business names matter in
most TLDs and trying to impose subdomains is not a good approach because
people generally ignore them. Worst of all, it creates confusion for the
NGT and opens the possibility of multiple pricing tiers.

The assumptions in this hypothetical seem to be based on the
non-existence of ccTLDs as a direct competitor to Geo NGTs.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  And Historical DNS Database.
Ireland        *  Over 516 Million Domains Tracked.
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com