[GTLD-WG] [CPWG] Geo Names Scenarios

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Mon Aug 5 20:58:23 UTC 2019

On 05/08/2019 21:15, Jonathan Zuck wrote:
> Thanks John. I guess the point is that the applicant guidebook is being rewritten and the rules regarding permission, etc. are being revisited and we're just trying to build a consensus position her in the At-large, to the extent possible, so that we might comment. Our attempt to just "share views" in Morocco was a bit of a mess so we came up with the ideas of scenarios. I'll look at your specific comments and try to incorporate the ones that make sense. Thanks again!
> Jonathan
The danger is, Jonathan, that it At-Large could be repeating many of the
mistakes of the first round by trying to suggest regulations that might
not make sense.

Adding subdomains means that the registry has to spend more money on
marketing these subdomains.

One of the main problems affecting some Geos is non-usage. Some of it is
end user non usage where the registrar/hoster parks undeveloped domain
names on PPC. The more damaging aspect is where an NGT is targeted for
large scale warehousing of domain names. These are rarely developed and
are often taken off the market with the intention of auctioning or
selling them at a later date. Individual and small scale speculation is
healthy and drives interest in a new TLD but the kind of overkill that
was seen in some NGTs caused problems. Some NGTs were nearly flattened
when the registries decided to hold back thousands of "premium" domain
names.

The ICANN registry-registrars model is completely in adequate as a one
size fits all approach. It isn't workable with many developing markets
where the numbers of domains under management of the largest players in
that market means that they will never become an ICANN registrar because
of the cost, complexity and lack of a market (many of these businesses
are focused on their local ccTLD).

If there are too few local registrars handling a Geo NGT in the market,
then it is likely to find it very difficult to attract registrations. In
some countries, there are no ICANN accredited registrars. Some kind of
explanation of the importance of a registrar/hoster network for
prospective applicants might be a good thing.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  And Historical DNS Database.
Ireland        *  Over 516 Million Domains Tracked.
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com