[GTLD-WG] [CPWG] New gTLD Applicant Support - improve it, or scrap it?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Aug 7 05:48:25 UTC 2019

In my many years of being involved in ICANN, I have rarely seen my point of
view so mischaracterised. The very subject line of this thread indicates
IMO a significant lack of grasp of my core point and indeed a substantial
mis-framing of the debate I had hoped to initiate.

Let me be clear: I am neither for improvement of nor scrapping Applicant
Support.

My challenge is whether a non-registrant end-user interest exists in this
either way, and whether ALAC has credibility to pass judgement on the
program at all as part  of its bylaw mandate. IMO, this is an issue of
interest to other ICANN constituencies but the end-user constituency has no
stake in how it is resolved. My response to "improve or scrap?" is "it
doesn't matter".

That is the point I was making on last week's call, not that we change our
opinion but that we simply withdraw and assert no opinion. The question at
hand is not "is Applicant support worthwhile" but "do end users care if
there is applicant support or not". Never once in the recent debate have I
advocated that AS was inherently wrong. I just question our continued focus
on a question that -- given the new facts and evidence at hand since the
rollout of that gTLD round -- has demonstrated no positive or negative
consequences for end users.
My advocacy here is for ALAC to be selective in addressing only issues in
which end-users have a genuine stake in the outcomes. I assert that this
issue (Applicant support) is only the first identified ALAC issue in which
end users have no justification to claim interest. I have commented
elsewhere on a second issue of this type, geoname TLDs, as chapter 2 of the
theme of "not my circus, not my monkeys". They're not our fights, and we
demean our credibility elsewhere when we assert otherwise.

Cheers,

- Evan