[GTLD-WG] [CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] New gTLD Applicant Support - improve it, or scrap it?

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 08:39:32 UTC 2019


Dear Evan,

Maureen is the elected representative from Australasia, Asia and the
Pacific. The Pacific which is made of 27 countries and territories that
have delegated country code top level domains is a very different terrain
from Canada and North America.

As a community, and more so as a region, we are very different from Canada
and our challenges are different. The end users challenges in the Pacific
is different from that of Canada, consider Samoa where the minimum wage is
$0.86 (USD) per hour. In fact, the Canadian government recognises this and
through the global Canadian fund has been encouraging capacity building in
public policy, and other areas in Asia Pacific (Nepal, Bangladesh,
Cambodia, Samoa and Fiji). Internet costs in the Pacific are amongst the
most expensive in the world.

As our designated mouthpiece for our region, Maureen and the other
representatives from APRALO on the ALAC is well versed with the constraints
of our region and the needs of our end users.

You have made your point and our region has made ours.

Best Wishes,
Sala

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019, 8:37 am Evan Leibovitch, <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> Hi Maureen,
>
> On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 02:01, Maureen Hilyard <maureen.hilyard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Evan, in my example cos I am always looking at what is happening in my
>> backyard, what I am saying too is that end-users in my space don't care,
>> but that's because they are unaware.
>>
>
> Unaware of what?
>
> Unaware of Internet domains?
> Unaware of the ability to purchase a top-level domain?
> or Unaware of the possibility that such a purchase could be reduced in
> price under certain circumstances.
>
> Maureen, I will respectfully disagree wholeheartedly with your assertion.
> Indeed, in your backyard lie a number of the domain-name world's great
> small-player success stories, in one case a TLD is the source of ten
> percent of the country's whole GDP. The potential of Internet domains in
> the region is well understood by governments and entrepreneurs. There is a
> big difference between "they don't participate because they don't know" and
> "they don't participate because they know and choose to stay away".
>
> (BTW, there is a GREAT video that explains domain names to the "unaware",
> through the lens of the Tuvalu experience, that can be found here
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34gHoxqZlJc>. I highly recommend it.)
>
> Of course, this is at the level of governments and businesses large enough
> to afford to run a registry. The reason that end users in your backyard
> don't care is the same reason that end-users ANYWHERE don't care ....
> Internet domains *Just Don't Matter*. At most you are arguing for an
> At-Large-initiated public education campaign, which I would agree is a much
> better use of resources than running after all these irrelevant issues
> within ICANN. But better understanding of domains is not going to make
> people flock to buy them. Registrars have already been aggressively
> marketing <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMIBzojnOkY> for people to
> understand (so they may buy) domain names without our help.
>
> I would be wholly in favour of any action ALAC could take to better
> understand global end users. Were we to know and act upon the actual needs
> and priorities of end users ALAC's focus would dramatically change from
> what it is now. I assert this because I make an effort to talk to people
> around me -- friends and family who use the Internet but are not
> technically or politically inclined -- about ICANN issues. I have found the
> results surprising, and I invite everyone here to try the same.
>
>
>> They don't know what they should be caring about.
>>
>
> IMO this approach is insulting. Most people have a fairly decent idea in
> what to care about, including how they use the Internet. That's why they
> prefer search over the use of "memorable" domain names; arguably the growth
> of Google can be directly linked to the failure of the DNS to provide a
> useful way for people to find what they want on the Internet,
>
> Don't confuse "know but don't care" with "don't know".
>
> In any case, I am unclear of the logic that leads from the premise of
> "people are unaware" to a conclusion of "therefore we should subsidize
> certain gTLD applications".
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Evan
> _______________________________________________
> CPWG mailing list
> CPWG at icann.org
> https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/cpwg
>
> _______________________________________________
> By submitting your personal data, you consent to the processing of your
> personal data for purposes of subscribing to this mailing list accordance
> with the ICANN Privacy Policy (https://www.icann.org/privacy/policy) and
> the website Terms of Service (https://www.icann.org/privacy/tos). You can
> visit the Mailman link above to change your membership status or
> configuration, including unsubscribing, setting digest-style delivery or
> disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so
> on._______________________________________________
> registration-issues-wg mailing list
> registration-issues-wg at atlarge-lists.icann.org
> https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/registration-issues-wg
>
> _______________________________________________
> By submitting your personal data, you consent to the processing of your
> personal data for purposes of subscribing to this mailing list accordance
> with the ICANN Privacy Policy (https://www.icann.org/privacy/policy) and
> the website Terms of Service (https://www.icann.org/privacy/tos). You can
> visit the Mailman link above to change your membership status or
> configuration, including unsubscribing, setting digest-style delivery or
> disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so on.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/gtld-wg/attachments/20190807/accd4e71/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
_______________________________________________
CPWG mailing list
CPWG at icann.org
https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/cpwg

_______________________________________________
By submitting your personal data, you consent to the processing of your personal data for purposes of subscribing to this mailing list accordance with the ICANN Privacy Policy (https://www.icann.org/privacy/policy) and the website Terms of Service (https://www.icann.org/privacy/tos). You can visit the Mailman link above to change your membership status or configuration, including unsubscribing, setting digest-style delivery or disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so on.


More information about the GTLD-WG mailing list