[GTLD-WG] [CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] We Object!

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 16 14:52:09 UTC 2019

On 16.11.2019, at 17:51, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com<mailto:seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>> wrote:

SO: Am curious, why should this worry anyone except the "eventual" new owner of PIR?

Because if this is true, it is extremely likely that the business model of the new owner is not based on plain price increase, but on other factors.
As I have said in another thread, I believe that the easiest way to increase profitability is through vertical integration. PIR could not do that - for various reasons that will take time to explain - also being a daughter organization of ISOC, but an investment fund could easily lump together a company like Donuts (and I am only quoting this as an example) with PIR. Why? Because if a registry is forbidden to have a preferential relationship with an accredited registrar (all accredited registrars must be treated equally) a registrar has free hands in the way they conduct the business.
So, what will have impact on users is not the price change, but the business model change - in the sense that registrations in .org will no longer depend on the ethics of PIR but on the appetite of the registrar that could run the show.
Cheers,
Roberto