[GTLD-WG] [CPWG] [At-Large] EFF : Nonprofit Community Stands Together to Protect .ORG

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sat Nov 23 02:06:33 UTC 2019

What I ask myself is:Why the rush and secrecy?  A deal of that importance should have been been discussed in public. ISOC should have made a public offer. Who knows - maybe the Bill Gates Foundation would have bought it; and would have continued to operate it as nonprofit  (obviously using the revenues for a while to reimburse the purchase costs).Who within ISOC was consulted? Has an external audit company vetted the numbers? How do we know this wasn't sold for just 5 years revenues? Shouldn't potential take-over clients have asked to make long-term commitments? What if the new owners sell this to North Korea - or China?Have kick-backs been paid; and to whom? And why?The new owners will WANT to sell it; they are VC money: they need an exit. To whom do they sell? They need to double the inventory  (domain count) to show "growth": how will they do it? Give a .org for free and without consent to all .com owners at registrar level (the .xyz model)?Thanks,AlexanderSent from my Samsung device