[IANAtransition] [Internet Policy] New acronym IFABDFI ;-)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 00:40:54 UTC 2014

On 03/04/2014 13:14, Shatan, Gregory S. wrote:
> Suggestions always welcomed on improving ICANN's multistakeholder mechanisms....

I think the voice that is missing is certainly not that of any of
the major vested interests. It's the consumers' voice; a service
provider of any kind has difficulty representing its mass of users,
because their interests are often divergent from those of the service
provider.

I bet, for example, that consumers already befuddled by web site
names would argue against complicating their lives with bits of
fluff like .biz and most of the proposed new gTLDs. The argument
that .london will make life easier for users is manifestly absurd
(especially for users in London, Ontario). I doubt if this sort
of view has been well represented in the past.

    Brian