[IANAtransition] [Internet Policy] [IANAxfer] ICANN-IGP hybrid

Tamer Rizk trizk at inficron.com
Thu Apr 3 20:55:55 UTC 2014

This is in response to my own comment the other day, for which a list
member pointed out to me that it may be misread as attributing a
particular stance on the UN to Mr. DelBianco. I said:

"...with concern for corruption due to problems with participation and
majority voting by the UN..."

which some may read as "Mr. DelBianco believes the UN is corrupt", which
is not what he said. *My interpretation* of his comment is that he was
drawing an analogy between UN majority voting and a potential voting
scenario by the GAC, in concern that such a scenario may be susceptible
to corruption.

So as to rectify any misunderstand of my comment reflecting on the
hearing, I have transcribed Mr. DelBianco comments verbatim below:

At 2:02:01:

"...ICANN's government advisory committee, or GAC, you heard today, they
can change their operating procedures at any time. They can change from
the consensus they have today to majority voting, which is what they are
used to at the United Nations. There was only 61 governments who showed
up at the ICANN meeting, so 31 governments would have been enough for a
majority. So lets say those governments advise ICANN that the new TLD
.corrupt- the .corrupt top level domain, must get government permission
for any domain that matches the name of a government official..."

Ref:
http://energycommerce.house.gov/hearing/ensuring-security-stability-resilience-and-freedom-global-internet#video

I am grateful to the list member who graciously contacted me off-list,
affording me the opportunity to redress and I am further glad that
external entities exist to hold me accountable, otherwise I would have
unknowingly done Mr. DelBianco injustice.

Best,
Tamer