[IANAtransition] Looking to historical models of international standards

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sat Apr 5 15:58:04 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 10:40:30AM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Maybe this is all as simple as IETF "recognizing" ICANN as the IP
> and DNS registration authority.

If we make two edits, viz. s/IP and DNS/IP and DNS and protocol
parameters/, and s/ICANN/IANA/, we simply make explicit the present
state of affairs, right?  Then, at one level of indirection, we have
"ICANN does IANA function".

I think the controversy is all about who acts as IANA and how they do
that, no?  So simply "recognizing" someone isn't enough, I suspect.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com