[IANAtransition] Looking to historical models of international standards

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Apr 5 16:29:21 UTC 2014

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 10:40:30AM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>> Maybe this is all as simple as IETF "recognizing" ICANN as the IP
>> and DNS registration authority.
> If we make two edits, viz. s/IP and DNS/IP and DNS and protocol
> parameters/, and s/ICANN/IANA/, we simply make explicit the present
> state of affairs, right?  Then, at one level of indirection, we have
> "ICANN does IANA function".
>
> I think the controversy is all about who acts as IANA and how they do
> that, no?  So simply "recognizing" someone isn't enough, I suspect.

Let's ask the question - why not?
- ISO 2108 Specifies the format for ISBNs, ISO appointed the
International ISBN Agency as the global registration authority, which
seems to delegate to national authorities, who in turn delegate
authority to publishers
- ISO 6346 specifies numbering for freight containers, with
administration per:
"The *Bureau International des Containers et du Transport Intermodal
(B.I.C.)*, with over 1900 members, is the only non-governmental
organization linking all groups interested in containerization and
intermodal transport: carriers, manufacturers, operators, lessors,
shippers, forwarders, authorities and other international organizations.
Besides its mandate under the *ISO <http://www.iso.org/iso/home.htm>*
and the *WCO* <http://www.wcoomd.org/> to allocate and protect the ISO
alpha code for the identification of containers in international trade,
the BIC assignment includes:
- IEEE both manages the 802.x series standards and hands out the OUIs
that go into, among other things, MAC addresses

So, as John Curran indicated separately"
"This occurs in the ICANN/IAB/IETF MOU (RFC 2860); all IETF parameter
spaces are administered by ICANN per IETF technical specifications; the
DNS and IP spaces pose additional "policy issues" (which are beyond the
scope of the agreement but in the event ICANN adopts a policy that
prevents it from complying with the IETF technical guidance, the IETF
may terminate the relationship.)"

So... if NTIA were simply to walk away - and it's various purely rubber
stamp functions were redistributed - does anything else really need to
happen?

Miles Fidelman