[IANAtransition] [IANAxfer] Global public interest in Internet identifieradministration...

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sun Apr 6 12:50:58 UTC 2014

On Apr 6, 2014, at 8:39 AM, Richard Hill <rhill at hill-a.ch> wrote:

> John,
>
> I agree with you that one has to identify specific areas where there might
> be public policy concerns.
>
> In addition to the ones you outline below, competition policy is probably
> such an area.  As we know, ICANN is a monopoly.  So either you create
> competition, or you supervise it.

Competition serves a particular purpose for the public, and in its absence,
we definitely need to be certain that comparable benefits are achieved.

> Regarding the issues you refer to below, no, there is no global agreement,
> which is why we are having so many discussions.

When it comes to the Internet it would be nice if those discussions among
governments took place with paramount regard to Postel's law, i.e. the
general principle of robustness:

 "be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others."

Who knows, we might have more actual progress and less "ongoing discussions"

> But that implies that those
> issues should never have been brought into the DNS.  That is, we should have
> avoided technical decisions that resulted in the creation of global issues
> that are insoluble at the global level.

No, what it implies is that some parties are failing here, and it's not
actually the Internet that is the problem.  We don't avoid the benefits
of the Internet because governments can't work out their "global issues";
we remand them to do a better job.  Again, perhaps being a little more
"liberal in what you accept from others" might go a long way here.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.