[IANAtransition] [IANAxfer] ] ICANN proposal released

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at reedsmith.com
Thu Apr 10 16:45:17 UTC 2014

I agree wholeheartedly.

Greg Shatan

-----Original Message-----
From: IANAxfer [mailto:ianaxfer-bounces at elists.isoc.org] On Behalf Of Avri Doria
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:16 PM
To: ianatransition at icann.org; ianaxfer at elists.isoc.org
Subject: Re: [IANAxfer] [IANAtransition] ] ICANN proposal released

On 09-Apr-14 19:18, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> I was also surprised and somewhat dismayed at the slight of hand in
>> the
>> > text.
> It's a statement of fact that IANA is currently operated by ICANN.
> Were you seriously expecting them to propose a change?

Yes, I am expecting them to be an honest broker in developing a transition plan that has explored all of the issues.  I expect both people and organizations acting as stewards to do what is right (for some definition/perception of right), even if it might conflict with what is most comfortable or desirable for them.

I have a lot of respect for ICANN and its processes. And I think they can be such an honest and neutral broker. That is the reason I get dismayed when they don't seem to live up to the task.  Which in this case is to be a neutral steward of the transition and not try to predetermine the outcome.

Sometimes you have to let go of what you love most in order to keep it.
 In my view, at this point ICANN has to let go of its presumption of ownership so that it can possibly earn the right to keep the contract.

avri

                                                                * * *

This E-mail, along with any attachments, is considered
confidential and may well be legally privileged. If you have received it in
error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply
e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or
use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you for your cooperation.

                                                                * * *

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we
inform you that, unless otherwise indicated in writing, any U.S. Federal tax
advice contained in this communication  (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state
and local provisions or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another
party any tax-related matters addressed herein.
                                                                        Disclaimer Version RS.US.20.10.00