[IANAtransition] Control, co-ordination, and interop (was Re: [IANAxfer] ] ICANN proposal released)

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sat Apr 12 09:21:48 UTC 2014

On 12 apr 2014, at 10:56, Vint Cerf <vint at google.com> wrote:

> I am surprised to learn, however, that one can dial a number from country  X and get a different result when dialing the same number from country Y.

Normally only the country codes differ, and the number of differences have drastically gone down when the iron curtain did fall down.

There are some known issues, but not more complicated or surprising than known blocking of Internet traffic.

As Richard wrote, there is consensus, I claim, that this is a bug, and that one should reach the same destination regardless of from where one uses a number.

That said, one of my largest issues with telephony is that one have not agreed on one and only one standard for _dialing_. Say you want to dial me from the US, you then have to dial different numbers than from what you have to dial when you are in Germany. Yes, I am thinking on how '+' is implemented. And many other things.

A big fail for global E.164 I think.

Think if we had those problems on the Internet. "Yes, that is my IP address, but if you use it in that AS number you have to use this prefix to reach it."

We had that situation with UUCP email addresses, but we quickly abandoned that. That is one of the main reasons to me Internet is so successful.

URLs work wherever you want to use them.

For dialed telephone numbers not so much.

So, once again, did I hear telephony had a better system? ;-)

Yes Richard, I am teasing you a bit, and you and I have talked enough about this so far and I am happy to talk more with you about it when we meet.

   Patrik