[IANAtransition] Separation of Responsibilities from current SoW

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Apr 13 13:02:46 UTC 2014

At 14:35 13/04/2014, Vint Cerf wrote:
>maybe we should just declare the Internet to be a monarchy...

Actually, you are right!

What Michel is missing is that the Queen's comparison can only work
if we remember that she is the head of the British Empire, now known
as the Multi-Stakehoders' Commonwealth. The constitutionnal system
that is being advocated for the net is the Digital Commonwealth!

This is something we can easily check. If ICANN is to become an MS
cooperation and not the organizational heir of the "Imperial
Republic", why is ICANN's http://internet.coop proposing to "how to
make money" with the Internet and http://icann.coop (an ICANN
reserved name) is not activated.

Bravo, Michel! A good and speaking metaphor may help a lot figuring
out what is the background mechanism. Obviously, this is only a
metaphor, but the Digital Empire needs an emblematic symbol everyone
will naturally respect. This was the leading country, a situation
which is more and more disputed and less and less trusted. There are
two proposed replacements a Lords' community aristocracy (MS) power,
or the growing power of the multitude's consensus (MC).

I tend to think that the MS approach is immediately stable but the MC
approach is far more stable in the long range. We therefore have a
clear scheme: an NTIA/MS-ICANN transition in the perspective of an
MS-ICANN/MC-World Dedicated Organization. No one ever told that the
final transition was to be achieved in a single step.

jfc