[IANAtransition] Redlined Scoping Document

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 18:59:02 UTC 2014

Hello Milton,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> > As Chip Sharp points out, there is a contractual requirement for IANA
> staff to not
> > be involved in policy development (other than to respond to questions),
> but that
> > is different than requiring the IANA Functions operator to be separated
> from ICANN.
>
> OK, so you want to play semantic games. Look, everyone involved in this
> discussion has noted multiple times that ICANN currently has _functional_
> separation, via C.2.5 and other requirements. Once that contractual
> requirement is gone, the issue is how is that separation maintained. Many
>  believe structural separation will be required. This was a point made in
> our original paper back on March 3. Thanks for advancing the debate.
>
> What is functional and structural separation within the context of this
discussion?. I understand that by contract the IANA function itself
requires a separation on its own. The fact that it has a separate
department dedicated to it, make it a structural separation within ICANN. I
don't think structuring should always have to do with setting up something
outside of existing organisation. (as i have always pointed out since the
IGP proposal was released)

So you have pointed out the right issue; which is to discuss "how to
maintain the current separation" (that is already structural and functional)

Nevertheless as usual, i am open to be convinced on what aspect i may have
missed. ;)

Thanks

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng