[IANAtransition] [IANAxfer] Is the scope fixed?

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Sun Apr 13 21:21:45 UTC 2014

On 14 April 2014 09:15, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> On 13-Apr-14 17:02, Jordan Carter wrote:
> > I can imagine that the NTIA said they were comfortable with this scope
> > as the one being released for comment (and development and change in
> > response to that comment), but I can't imagine the implication Fadi
> > appears to put on it, that they have somehow rubber stamped this as
> > the final and unalterable scope of the discussion, given all their
> > other comments on the record.
> >
> > Sometimes what people don't say is as important as what they do.
>

> You mean to say he might be misleading us about the USG being in
> agreement with the limitation in scope?
>
> That would be a bad thing for the neutral steward of the transition
> process.  I can't imagine that this would possibly be the case.
>
> I feel I have to take him at this word.  He has said it publicly and it
> has not been rebuffed by NTIA.

No - what I am saying is that it's entirely plausible the USG is
comfortable with the discussion starting from the point that ICANN has
released and expressing that to Fadi and others at ICANN.

I would imagine NTIA will do its own communication about the scope as a
submission in the process, since this is meant to be a multistakeholder
discussion, and will also express a view in respect of whatever revisions
are made after the comments are taken on board and the next version is put
out. To me, their own expression of their view is what will be
authoritative.

I cannot imagine anyone at ICANN would deliberately mis-represent what they
have been told in private in a public manner such as a blog posting -- that
would be deeply problematic behaviour.

best,
Jordan

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*To promote the Internet's benefits and uses, and protect its potential.*