[IANAtransition] Can we refocus the discussion? (Was re: The ONLY IANA Registry that Really Matters is the IPv4 Address Space)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 22:31:41 UTC 2014

On 21/04/2014 07:41, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> The gigantic hole in your argument, Barry (and Mike) lies here:

My answer would be:

1. A supervsiory Council of Registrars as proposed by IAHC in 1997.
(This is not CORE as it exists today, of course.)

2. A strategy to dissolve ICANN in its present form and
reconstitute it as an NGO in a more neutral jurisdiction
(with transitional arrangements for existing commercial
contracts).

3. A poison pill added to the Articles of Incorporation
of the current California corporation to ensure that the
above two points stick or ICANN dissolves itself anyway.

I have a question, too: if IANA was separated from ICANN,
why would ICANN still exist? Unless I am deeply misunderstanding
the work of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, ICANN
is a powerless and pointless shell without it.

    Brian