[IANAtransition] Accountability/protection mechanisms (was: Can we refocus the discussion? )

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Tue Apr 22 14:20:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 9:03 AM, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> it should be possible for the DNS community
>    to enter into such an agreement which specifies the terms of
>    service and provides for third-party enforcement.

the devil is in the details and figuring out how "the DNS community" can
possibly enter into a contract is not so clear to me.

I do believe that there are ways to limit the ability of the board to
effect changes that are not agreed by the affected parties - particularly
the TLD operators - one does need a way to deal with the possibility that
the operator is failing to live up to an accountability framework that
might be codified in a mutual affirmation of commitments that includes a
mechanism for dispute resolution.