[IANAtransition] Accountability/protection mechanisms (was: Can we refocus the discussion? )

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:34:19 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Vint Cerf <vint at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 9:03 AM, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
>
>> it should be possible for the DNS community
>>    to enter into such an agreement which specifies the terms of
>>    service and provides for third-party enforcement.
>>

> the devil is in the details and figuring out how "the DNS community" can
> possibly enter into a contract is not so clear to me.
>
> I do believe that there are ways to limit the ability of the board to
> effect changes that are not agreed by the affected parties - particularly
> the TLD operators - one does need a way to deal with the possibility that
> the operator is failing to live up to an accountability framework that
> might be codified in a mutual affirmation of commitments that includes a
> mechanism for dispute resolution.

Just to note that mechanism to such dispute resolution for numbers is yet
complete as from the current MOU, the final shot still ends at the board's
table.(ref ICANN-ASO MOU on GPDP attachment A item 14) So while those
framework is being thought about with TLDs, those of numbers should not be
forgotten. ;)

recall: I had initially stayed clear the RIR MOU agreement (since the RIRs
had no problem with it) However if its to be considered as the oversight
mechanism when NTIA is out of the picture then i am concerned.

Thanks

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*