[IANAtransition] what's the threat model?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 20:48:12 UTC 2014

On 24/04/2014 02:48, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> John Curran wrote:
>> On Apr 23, 2014, at 9:52 AM, Miles Fidelman
>> <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:
>>
>> So...  What threats are we actually worried about?  What kinds of
>> things can go wrong?  Are there examples of registry failures that
>> anyone can point to and say "we need to prevent <this> from happening?"
>> Steve DelBianco wrote a nice post regarding programmers and "use
>> cases"; it
>> poses several potential scenarios that might be worthy of consideration -
>>
>> <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140326_a_programmers_perspective_on_the_iana_transition/>
>>

> Nice.  That does start to capture the things a transition needs to address.

Yes. IMHO it can be boiled down to two items

1. ICANN Board goes rogue (the first 4 bullets).

2. Some government(s) apply undue pressure on ICANN (the 5th bullet).

As far as I can see, the ultimate defence against the first item can
only be building checks and balances from the wider community into
ICANN's own governance, and against the second it must be real or
de facto NGO status in a suitably neutral jurisdiction.

(I am far from convinced that Steve DelBianco is correct in stating
that the existing NTIA contract has had much influence over item 1.
It's an interesting question how much longer California will be
viewed as a neutral jurisdiction for item 2.)

    Brian