[IANAtransition] what's the threat model?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Apr 23 20:53:00 UTC 2014

On Apr 23, 2014, at 5:48 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. IMHO it can be boiled down to two items
>
> 1. ICANN Board goes rogue (the first 4 bullets).
>
> 2. Some government(s) apply undue pressure on ICANN (the 5th bullet).
>
> As far as I can see, the ultimate defence against the first item can
> only be building checks and balances from the wider community into
> ICANN's own governance, and against the second it must be real or
> de facto NGO status in a suitably neutral jurisdiction.
>
> (I am far from convinced that Steve DelBianco is correct in stating
> that the existing NTIA contract has had much influence over item 1.
> It's an interesting question how much longer California will be
> viewed as a neutral jurisdiction for item 2.)

I believe that the development of some detailed use cases would be very
helpful, and that there may be quite a variety of solutions to each of
them.  Consolidating use cases is probably not a good idea at this early
point, as it presumes certain solutions in common which may not apply
across all of the proposals that are made.

/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.