[IANAtransition] ccNSO Council Comment

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:45:19 UTC 2014

Hello Milton,
On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>  Greg Shatan may be right that our DNSA proposal is being confused with
> the ICANN-proposed “steering group” that would control the transition
> process.

+1

> First of all, to be clear, the IGP-proposed DNSA is NOT an “oversight”
> mechanism. It is an operational entity. Structurally separating IANA’s
> DNS-related operations is itself an improvement in accountability and
> transparency, but in no way was the DNSA proposal intended to be an entity
> that “oversees” ICANN.

The word accountability and transparency in the statement above is relative
as their actual effect will be dependend on the mechanisms developed for
the 2 organisation. I don't believe that by having 2 seperate entity
automatically means improved accountability and transparency. As a matter
of fact, it could worsen it if care is not taken.

There might be forms of oversight needed to monitor the passage of
> instructions from ICANN as policy maker to DNSA as implementor in a
> structurally separated regime, or it might be possible that contractual
> obligations would be sufficient,

+1 it is the implementation and formulation of such oversight that
determines how well the 2 organisations will be transparent in future.

> But at any rate Alejandro’s concerns about reinventing ICANN is a
> legitimate critique of many proposals, but not of ours.

So you don't think the IGP proposal will mean some smaller version of ICANN?

> Regarding the ICANN-proposed “steering group,” both the IETF and the ccNSO
> have called for major modifications in it. IETF, like me and many others,
> has rejected the whole idea that the group should be “steering” the
> transition, and ccNSO has called for more direct representation.

+1 to this.

> The problem is that many of us still fear that ICANN is “stacking the
> deck” in its approach to both the transition and the composition of the
> steering committee.

I don't know what "stacking the deck" imply here; do you mean those
representatives could be bought up by ICANN?. However for me my concern is
that non-ICANers are not in anyway represented in the committee which is a
tough one though as i have no better suggestion of how that can happen
except the one i had suggested earlier.

Thanks

Kind regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng