[IANAtransition] ICANN’s ON...Accountability in the Wake of the IANA Functions Stewardship Transition

Techno CAT mars.techno.cat at gmail.com
Wed May 7 20:40:38 UTC 2014

ICANN is a Contractor of the US Government - Department of Commerce
The following TEXT from .MARS is provided for .EARTH Archive Purposes Only
cat is one of the original UNIX commands - Sending email to C at T uses
the .T Top Level Domain
the "root server changes". Immediately, the jack-booted thugs began
DEMANDING the ___REPORTER___ CEASE AND DESIST in changing the the
DNS....
....when it was pointed out that JON POSTEL was making the changes....
....the jack-booted thugs vanished...into their holes....

ICANN’s Accountability in the Wake of the IANA Functions Stewardship Transition

by Steve Crocker on May 6, 2014

Ever since the NTIA announced its intention to transition the
stewardship of the IANA functions, the ICANN Community {WHO IS THAT?],
our Board, and ICANN’s leadership all have been in agreement that a
process on ICANN’s overall accountability is needed. This process
should look at from an organizational perspective, whether and how
ICANN’s broader accountability mechanisms should be strengthened to
address the absence of its historical contractual relationship to the
U.S. Government.
[WHO WOULD HAVE FOLLOWED ICANN IANA WITHOUT THE US GOVERNMENT CONTRACT?]

AT the recent NETmundial meeting in Sao Paulo, Brazil, our [NOT
EVERYONE's] President and CEO, Fadi Chehadé, announced that ICANN
would launch such a process – one that would be community-driven – the
details of which have been put out for public dialogue and community
feedback.

I can say that the framing of this process and how it relates to the
other, recently- launched process on the transition of IANA
stewardship itself, are top priorities for the Board and me. As Fadi
noted in Sao Paulo, the two are closely interrelated and will run in
parallel.   Our handling of these processes will be closely
scrutinized.

Enhancing ICANN’s accountability is key to the success of the IANA
functions stewardship transition process. We must be accountable to
the global community beyond our role as the administrator of the IANA
functions.
[ICANN ALREADY ASSUMES THEY WILL ABSORB IANA ?]l

This process will take an inventory of our existing accountability
mechanisms, such as the Affirmation of Commitments; examine if and how
they should be strengthened, as well explore the needs for new
mechanisms. More generally, the process will examine what new or
enhanced accountability mechanisms will be necessary in the absence of
ICANN’s historical contractual relationship to the U.S. Government.

The two processes, however, will run on separate tracks. Though open
to all, the accountability process will take place mainly within the
ICANN community, whereas the process on the transition of the IANA
functions stewardship will occur across multiple fora. ICANN’s role in
the latter is also limited to that of a convener and facilitator.
[FASCINATING - IANA GETS WIDER COVERAGE ??]

These developments come at a critical juncture as the discussion on
the evolution of the Internet governance ecosystem has gained
considerable momentum.  More importantly, the global multistakeholder
community has signaled its readiness to engage in inclusive,
collaborative decision-making processes to achieve tangible results.
[IT WOULD BE FASCINATING TO LEARN HOW THE MSH COMMUNITY DOES THAT
SIGNAL-THING - SMOKE SIGNALS ?]

The community is encouraged to provide input on the proposed ICANN
accountability process and a number of related questions.

The full announcement on the accountability process can be found here.

The public comment period is open and the deadline for input is 27 May
2014 (23:59 UTC).

"This is a temporary list to be used as the mechanism for collecting
public feedback on the IANA stewardship transition."

@Techno_CAT_r
http://Twitter.com/Techno_CAT_r