[IANAtransition] On Enhancing ICANN Accountability

Michel S. Gauthier mg at telepresse.com
Fri May 30 23:00:36 UTC 2014

At 21:19 30/05/2014, Tamer Rizk wrote:

>@Michel, Sovereignty is the quality of having independent authority
>over a geographic area.

This looks an outdated Westphalian concept to me. Sovereignty means
absolute authority. Not bound by foreign laws

>Since the geographic area you are hypothesizing is unclear in your
>statement, I can only clarify that the implied intention of the
>document is to reiterate the necessity for all interests to ensure a
>future of good Internet governance through separate, interdependent
>organizations, each with the power to hold the other accountable.

This is what is called multilateral equilibrium. Subject to
international laws. At least for those accepting an UN environment.

>If I understand your concluding remark correctly, then yes, I would
>agree that DNS policy may be constrained to impartiality through the
>careful demarcation of RZM and IANA functions between said organizations.

Sorry, but all what I mean is that the sovereign ICANN DNS police is
starting to upset (or "abuse" :-)) an increasing number of people.
This is probably one of the motivation for an Internet User
declaration of independence from ICANN and ICE.

I do not know if you noticed that digital cyberspace is increasingly
considered as a fifth battle area. IMHO people should rather take
advantage from Hugo de Groot.

M S G