[IANAtransition] On Enhancing ICANN Accountability

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sat May 31 01:42:00 UTC 2014

sent from Google nexus 4
kindly excuse brevity and typos.
On 31 May 2014 02:03, "Michel S. Gauthier" <mg at telepresse.com> wrote:

> At 21:19 30/05/2014, Tamer Rizk wrote:
>
>> @Michel, Sovereignty is the quality of having independent authority over
a geographic area.

> This looks an outdated Westphalian concept to me. Sovereignty means
absolute authority. Not bound by foreign laws

I hope you agree that nations are example of sovereign entity. So when a
nation by it's sovereignty does things against the global law (UN's), then
such country gets penalized.
Would you then agree that the UN rules is foreign and nations bound by
them. Does that diminish nation's sovereign rights? I don't think so.
However does it make sovereignty geographical/sectional? I do think so

Cheers!

>> Since the geographic area you are hypothesizing is unclear in your
statement, I can only clarify that the implied intention of the document is
to reiterate the necessity for all interests to ensure a future of good
Internet governance through separate, interdependent organizations, each
with the power to hold the other accountable.

> This is what is called multilateral equilibrium. Subject to international
laws. At least for those accepting an UN environment.

>> If I understand your concluding remark correctly, then yes, I would
agree that DNS policy may be constrained to impartiality through the
careful demarcation of RZM and IANA functions between said organizations.

> Sorry, but all what I mean is that the sovereign ICANN DNS police is
starting to upset (or "abuse" :-)) an increasing number of people. This is
probably one of the motivation for an Internet User declaration of
independence from ICANN and ICE.

> I do not know if you noticed that digital cyberspace is increasingly
considered as a fifth battle area. IMHO people should rather take advantage
from Hugo de Groot.

> M S G
>

>> Michel S. Gauthier wrote:
>>>
>>> All this has a simple name. What is discussed is "ICANN sovereignty".
>>> Why not to call things by their name.
>>> Sovereignty means potestas against multitude's potentia and external
>>> potestas.
>>> As long as there is no ICANN-Cyber-Command this is waffling. Let first
>>> discuss the DNS police abuses.
>>>
>>> M S G

Organization,

Framework