[IANAtransition] On Enhancing ICANN Accountability

Richard Hill rhill at hill-a.ch
Sat May 31 05:30:14 UTC 2014

Please see below.

Thanks and best,
Richard

Indeed sovreignty means that one is not bound by a higher authority.  Which
is not to be confused with an abolutist political system.  Democratic states
can be sovereign states.

But, contrary to what many think, the Treaty of Westphalia was an early
example of sovereigns agreeing to limit their sovereignty. Specifically,
they agreed that they would not intervene in the religious matters of other
states.

All international treaties are negotiated limitations on national
sovreignty.  This is possible because a sovereign has the right to renounce
some of its sovreignty.

Giving the increasing international dependencies amongst states, there is an
increasing reduction in sovreignty, albeit perhaps not enough for some
people.

And of course the more powerful states are the ones that have tended to most
resist reducing their sovreignty.

SNIP