[ianatransition] Jurisdiction (was Composition of the ICG)

Richard Hill rhill at hill-a.ch
Thu Jul 31 04:41:07 UTC 2014

Please see below.

Thanks and best,
Richard

SNIP

> Agreed, but why wouldn't these circumstances be addressable via an IANA
> organization which must account for its fidelity of performance to a
> formal membership structure?  For sake of argument, such an membership
> structure could be composed of those parties with a policy development
> role for any of the IANA registries.  Would such a governance structure
> in the IANA charter (subject to arbitration) alleviate your concerns
> about immunity of jurisdiction as suggested by Richard?

It does not alleviate my concerns regarding immunity of jurisdiction, for
the reasons set forth in my previous E-Mail.

It does alleviate many of my other concerns, and is indeed pretty much what
I have proposed myself: that ICANN and IANA should be membership
organizations directly accountable to their members (not through indirect
NomComs and such).