[ianatransition] [IANAxfer] Jurisdiction (was Composition of the ICG)

Tamer Rizk trizk at inficron.com
Sat Aug 2 02:52:44 UTC 2014

How does the diversity of global interests, such as those who sponsored
highly publicized venues for discussion over the past few months, feel
about the proposed scope of the process going forward? Is there some
concrete data that supports consensus? When strong community interest in
the subject matter is reflected by an outpouring of submissions in
response to events such as NetMundial and the WSIS, one is led to expect
similar feedback to what would be perceived as the authoritative venue
for proposal development.  However, despite assurances of
well-established mechanisms for discussion and consensus building, there
is little indication of global engagement.

Perhaps in stating that "if anyone wants to participate they can", you
are implying that the current process shifts the burden of engagement to
the wider community. However, a cursory study of any social network will
tell you that the processes that facilitate vibrant communities succeed
only by design. The coordinators of online communities understand that
the burden to spur engagement falls squarely on their own shoulders.

In our case engagement is likely a function of the perceived ability of
interests to either meaningfully influence the process or clearly
understand why they could not, relative to the sum of competing
interests. The current and contrary context is exemplified by the
following response to a relevant document that was submitted for input:

"You presumably disagree and think you are raising points that have not
been properly addressed, but my impression fwiw is that you are
continually re-raising points that have been addressed, in many cases as
not being in scope of this IANA-related discussion."

So in accordance with the viable path for participation you outlined,
please highlight the specific data, conversation, or publicized poll
that reflects consensual resolution of those points, as well as others
that have been presented over time.

Alissa Cooper wrote:
> [...]
> has proposed for a process going forward is explained below.
>
> There will be, at a minimum, three sets of processes for developing
> components of the transition proposal:
>
> (1) An IETF process for developing the protocol parameters component. As
> with all IETF processes, it is open to anyone with an email address. No
> one is prevented from participating. If people need help understanding how
> to participate, the IETF ICG appointees (as well as other experienced IETF
> participants) are here to help. The process uses well established
> mechanisms for discussion and consensus-building that have been used to
> successfully craft thousands of documents over the years.
>
> (2) RIR processes for developing the numbers component. My expectation
> (which I’m sure will be corrected if wrong) is that these processes will
> also be open to anyone who wants to participate. And again if people need
> help understanding how, there are folks who are committed to providing
> that help.
>
> (3) A CCWG process for developing the names component. Again I think the
> only way this will work is if anyone is permitted to participate, and I
> haven’t seen any indication that participation will be somehow restricted.
> Unlike the other two components, this process is perhaps more novel — but
> certainly not more novel than any conceivable alternative process the ICG
> could run.
>
> If we have three sets of open processes where anyone can participate,
> where work and attention can be efficiently divided so as to develop
> focused proposals, where the ICG makes it a priority to ensure that
> coordination happens so that areas of overlap get addressed within the
> appropriate communities, and where tried-and-trusted discussion and
> consensus processes can be leveraged, how is it possible than an arbitrary
> group of 30 people in the ICG running a single centralized process created
> de novo for this purpose would produce a result that has broader support
> and better reflects the specific oversight/accountability needs of the
> various IANA functions?
>
> Alissa
>
> On 8/1/14, 4:47 PM, "Tamer Rizk" <trizk at inficron.com> wrote:
>

>> Richard is spot on. The reason why many of us have had to curtail our
>> feedback is that a viable path for our comments to be reflected in the
>> output of this process is not evident. If we desire an outcome that is
>> representative of a diverse set of stakeholder interests, then the ICG
>> should function to publicly aggregate input from those sources, merge
>> them into discrete, topic based proposals for review by the wider
>> community, and offer a transparent mechanism by which to gauge both
>> external and internal consensus. Otherwise, if the coordination group is
>> interested in drafting a proposal of its own accord, but would
>> appreciate external feedback for internal deliberation, please refer to

>>> not.  But if nothing else is acceptable, then I don't call that "bottom