[ianatransition] [IANAxfer] Jurisdiction (was Composition of the ICG)

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Sat Aug 2 17:34:58 UTC 2014

Hi Tamer,

On 8/1/14, 7:52 PM, "Tamer Rizk" <trizk at inficron.com> wrote:

>How does the diversity of global interests, such as those who sponsored
>highly publicized venues for discussion over the past few months, feel
>about the proposed scope of the process going forward? Is there some
>concrete data that supports consensus? When strong community interest in
>the subject matter is reflected by an outpouring of submissions in
>response to events such as NetMundial and the WSIS, one is led to expect
>similar feedback to what would be perceived as the authoritative venue
>for proposal development.  However, despite assurances of
>well-established mechanisms for discussion and consensus building, there
>is little indication of global engagement.

Well, the community processes have just barely begun, so it’s not
surprising that engagement in them is still ramping up. For example, the
IETF mailing list dedicated to this topic was created about a month ago
and a proposed working group charter was circulated for the first time a
couple of weeks ago. So it’s a bit premature to declare that there is or
will be little global engagement.

I would also note that the ICG, which I hope will be proactive in sharing
information globally about how to engage, was formed only a couple of
weeks ago and has not yet embarked on that task while it is bootstrapping
its operations.

>Perhaps in stating that "if anyone wants to participate they can", you
>are implying that the current process shifts the burden of engagement to
>the wider community. However, a cursory study of any social network will
>tell you that the processes that facilitate vibrant communities succeed
>only by design. The coordinators of online communities understand that
>the burden to spur engagement falls squarely on their own shoulders.
>
>In our case engagement is likely a function of the perceived ability of
>interests to either meaningfully influence the process or clearly
>understand why they could not, relative to the sum of competing
>interests. The current and contrary context is exemplified by the
>following response to a relevant document that was submitted for input:
>
>"You presumably disagree and think you are raising points that have not
>been properly addressed, but my impression fwiw is that you are
>continually re-raising points that have been addressed, in many cases as
>not being in scope of this IANA-related discussion."
>
>So in accordance with the viable path for participation you outlined,
>please highlight the specific data, conversation, or publicized poll
>that reflects consensual resolution of those points, as well as others
>that have been presented over time.

I can only speak for the IETF, where we have 7000+ RFCs that have been
produced over the span of decades via an input-gathering and
consensus-building process that has engaged participants from most
countries in the world. I’m guessing the RIRs could provide information
about their processes as well.

Best,
Alissa